Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the future...

Default In the future...

As it becomes more apparent that the use of tropical hardwoods for musical instruments is unsustainable, the use of our local woods will be more frequently seen. Start making a stock of them now before they get priced out of the market. Walnut is a good place to start and here's why:

I enjoyed a couple of your videos I have watched. I did pick up from you gluing the cutaway piece to the block. I can see how it makes doing the miter so much easier.

Love walnut!! I doing one right now. Lovely stuff
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Walnut bends really well!

Thanks for this Pete. I love seeing more and more luthiers using indigenous species. My luthier friend in the next town uses oak. I call them oakeleles. He also uses pecan.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Walnut is a fine wood for instruments and very much underappreciated, but we should define our terms. The meaning of "Walnut" is different in Europe and in North America. European or so called "English walnut" Juglans regia is different than so-called "American walnut". English walnut grows in Europe and Asia. American walnut (Juglans hindsii) is related but a different beast in significant ways. I just point this out because they are, while similar, different woods. Then there is the so called "walnuts" that are totally unrelated like "Peruvian walnut" and "African walnut" which are not even closely related. Anyway, both English and American walnut share the characteristic of being easy to work and easy to finish. What more could a person want? The main problem I have experienced with walnut is that it sounds a bit dark and woody which can be an asset in the right hands.

Pete, you're not only right. Your timing is impeccable: here's a current project, a juglans hindsii concert. That's claro walnut for those less inclined toward Latin than our learned friend, sequoia. This stuff even looks good inside the box and I love working with it. It bends like a dream, even the super curly variety. But no water, right?

Last edited by saltytri; 12-10-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Juglans regia and juglans hindsii bend in very similar ways. I demonstrated with hindsii and am just doing a 'proof' build using regia for a concert Dewdrop style - it's a memeorial uke to be presented to the UOGB in memory of Kity Lux who passed away recently. I'll post up something later this week about it...
    Last edited by Pete Howlett; 12-11-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Did you say something about stockpiling walnut?

Maybe we should close this thread now,before anyone else sees it, and before panic buying wipes the UK out of Walnut, like it seems to be doing with Rosewood!!

Thread Information