Bluegrass guitar

Rllink

Reaction score
What kind of guitar do most bluegrass players use?

Traditionally a Martin D28. Dreds are relatively loud so the lines cut through. Lots of other dreds are common now.

Traditionally a Martin D28. Dreds are relatively loud so the lines cut through. Lots of other dreds are common now.

I play bluegrass in various settings and I use a dreadnaught. I use it because I get clear bass and good volume. While leading songs and playing solos, I play out of open position most of the time, using bass runs and melodic leads that are more defined and audible when accompanying a choir or playing in a band.

I usually plug in, so volume isn’t usually the issue—it’s bass response for me.

Clarence White preferred mahogany dreadnought for leads and a rosewood dreadnought for backup. He used an old D-18 to play the leads on Appalachian Swing, but the D-28 now owned by Tony Rice for backup. Doc Watson (although he was not strictly a bluegrass player, he did dabble in that genre) also preferred a mahogany dreadnought.
Bluegrass is one of the few genres where "plugging in" is still frowned upon and although many Newgrass players have started using pickups, the traditional players still prefer to use a mic.

I recall a Tony Rice interview where he said, "Any interviewer who asks me what kind of pickup I use has obviously not listened to my music."

Last edited:
Overwhelmingly a dreadnought, with Martin being at the top of the heap. There are quite a few custom makers around also. Curiously Taylors aren't as popular in my area for Bluegrass.
I have both a rosewood and a mahogany Martin, and I prefer my 1968 D-18 mahogany over the HD-28 rosewood.

Top Bottom