Thread: Sophomore Effort: Cherry, Walnut and Maple Concert

Default Sophomore Effort: Cherry, Walnut and Maple Concert

Just finished my second acoustic ukulele.

Cherry top, back and sides
    Maple neck
    Walnut fretboard, binding, bridge and tuners.
    Corian nut and saddle.

I learned a lot from my first build and this one came out with a much clearer voice. I'm quite pleased with it.

Hmmm... What to try next???

Cherry Maple Walnut Concert.jpg

Looks pretty sweet to me. Nice woodworking. How does it sound? ... Next up? Why number three.

Wow, very pretty!

What to try next; a cigar box soprano with resonator.
    If your uke is too loud, your neighbours are wrong.

Nice work, it looks better than my second attempt. Glad you like the way it sounds. Looks like you had no problems with binding and the end graft so why not try a rosette on the next one?

Cherry is a great wood to use, so is walnut as has been discussed on the forum over the past few days, so maybe that could be for your next one?

Some of us stick to one size/one shape uke, others try lots of variants. It's down to the sort of person you are I suppose. Whatever you decide, keep us all posted.

Thank you all. I've thought about attempting a rosette. Just seems a little more daunting than some of the other embellishments without having the dedicated tools for it. I'll have to look into it a little more. Any suggestions?

Here's a link to a little sound sample of this one for anyone interested.
    Last edited by dasuol; 12-13-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Corrected Link

Quote Originally Posted by dasuol View Post
    I've thought about attempting a rosette. Just seems a little more daunting than some of the other embellishments without having the dedicated tools for it.
    This is how it starts: Just one more tool that will do the job right and pretty soon before you know it your garage looks like a mini manufacturing facility. I didn't heed the early warning signs and now I'm in deep. I knew things were getting bad when I got a letter from Stewart MacDonald congratulating me on becoming a "very special VIP Member". They were now my best buddies. My new status entitled me to all sorts of great things like being able to buy a thousand meters of fretwire at REDUCED PRICES!!!. Buy a kilometer of fretwire and get 17% off! It is way to late for me now. I dream of owning a double edged kanutter valve reamer with stainless steel cutter flanges (hand ground by virgins!), but you still have a chance. Take up knitting or serious fishing before it is too! You have been warned.

I love doing rosettes. This is the ticket for doing them by the way. Works perfect and lots of fun. Good luck! (note that you will need to purchase the router base, the router bits and the dremel tool. All sold seperately. Oh and then there is the rosette.)

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...uting_Jig.html

Thread Information