Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From sofa to...??

Default From sofa to...??

Hi guys,
    As the few of you who've been kind enough to comment on my last few videos, I thought you may be interested to see this. Having seen my rubbish on YouTube I was recently contacted by the members of a new Country band being put together and asked to go audition as rhythm guitarist / backing vocals...and guess what? It surprisingly looks like they're only going offer me the job! lol
    Now, my issue is, at age 61, do I really want the commitment to a full time gigging band when I've never played in a band before? Or do I continue blissfully amusing myself strumming and singing a few silly songs each day on my sofa like I've done for as long as I can remember?
    Regards, Dave
    (BTW: I'm the one nearest the camera with the bald head that's reflecting the light into your eyes, and when this took place I was suffering from a really bad head cold and super sore throat with even MORE little to no control over my voice than I usually have! lol)

Luv n stuff, Dave

Kawai KM-10 Baby Grand piano : Technics KN-2000 electric keyboard :
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic : 50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo : American Fender Stratocaster deluxe : American Gibson SG Special : Squier Telecaster Custom II with P90’s : Ibanez GSR200 BASS : 1964 Tatra Jumbo 9240 6 string acoustic : Ozark 2035 suprano banjole : Kmise tenor banjole : Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor Cutaway electro acoustic uke : Kala KA-CE electro acoustic uke

Quote Originally Posted by S11LKO View Post
    Do I really want the commitment to a full time gigging band when I've never played in a band before?
    Yes

Or do I continue blissfully amusing myself strumming and singing a few silly songs each day on my sofa like I've done for as long as I can remember?
    No

...when this took place I was suffering from a really bad head cold and super sore throat with even MORE little to no control over my voice than I usually have! lol)
    You might get more mileage out of that that story on stage. Then again, maybe not.

It surprisingly looks like they're only going offer me the job! lol
    Congratulations! The couch is overrated

HaHa! You do make me laugh my friend. Simply love your sense of humour! I have until the new year to make up my mind and I'll probably go with it as you advise because I'm sure it'll be a real blast.; and the income will come in useful too...although I play my 'music' just for the sheer enjoyment of it so would gig with them happily for nothing. (Don't tell them that though! lol) x
    Luv n stuff, Dave

Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic : 50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo : American Fender Stratocaster deluxe : American Gibson SG Special : Squier Telecaster Custom II with P90’s : Ibanez GSR200 BASS : 1964 Tatra Jumbo 9240 6 string acoustic : Ozark 2035 suprano banjole : Kmise tenor banjole : Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor Cutaway electro acoustic uke : Kala KA-CE electro acoustic uke

What a fantastic opportunity. I've never played in a band full-time, so I can't offer any real world advice, but it sure sounds like fun. Whatever you decide, best of luck Dave.

Luke

Thanks matey!
    Luv n stuff, Dave

I'd say it depends on whether you still work a full-time day job, and what do you mean by full-time band? How many gigs per month? I'm also 61, and play guitar in a classic rock band, gigging 2x/month, and it's fine for me. We try to spread the gigs out, not doing 2-3 Saturdays in a row, to keep the spouses happy.

Our set up scenario would sound somewhat similar to yours Ukecaster. The idea is to gig perhaps twice per month. I’m retired now so have the time. I’m just assuming gigs will be mostly at weekends and was wondering if wifey would get irritated by my not then available to do things with her? But if we controlled and spread them out as you do I’m sure it’d be fine. If an ‘open event’ she could even come along, have a couple of drinks, and watch.
    I’ve today been contacted by a rock covers band who want to speak to me too, so it’s nice to have others to share my love of music with in any form I can. Thanks for the comment.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

It may take some time to get used to the late nights, the drugs and the groupies. But you’ll adjust. Look at Keith Richards.
    Pre-UAS: “1 uku is all I need.” Early-on-set UAS: “1 of each size is necessary.” Chronic UAS: Constant trolling of ukulele marketplaces, increasing number of “necessary” ukuleles as collection grows. Full blown UAS: Coworkers believe you have a problem, individual considers divorce over parting with any ukuleles, individual seriously considers dipping into retirement account to see what those Moore Bettahs and Beau Hannams are all about.

Keith Richards? Oh poo!! I’m ugly enough to start with. If it’s going to make me look like him I better turn down the offer now! And the only drugs I take nowadays are for my cholesterol, high blood pressure, and Type 2 Diabetes!!! lol
    Luv n stuff, Dave

Dave:

You might be ugly enough, but can you match Keith's gnarled hands?

Did you join the band? Please give us an update.

Luke

Thread Information