Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enya Poor Quality Control

Sorry for your troubles.
    We've liked the Enyas we have gotten, and was considering an x1 tenor for the very same reasons you got one.
    My wife is a big Amazon Prime consumer and she always gets good service.
    As the others have said, don't be shy about complaining!
    They will make it good, but you do have to be loud until you are happy.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Besley has a Blackbird as his primary player. The Enya was for situations where the Blackbird may not be desirable to use. The draw of the Enya was the HPL and Richlite, along with the low price. So, Besley has one of the very best ukuleles—and the best non-wood ukulele—on the market. The appeal of Enya was the combination of high quality and low price point, starting with a $29 HPL camp ukulele special, leading others to buy additional items. The Enyas I have purchased for school (17 of them) have all been excellent inexpensive ukuleles. Whether HPL or laminate mahogany—they easily meet or exceed the quality of ukuleles that cost much more.

I am also pretty sure that he modified his review after Enya’s recent reply. I wrote my contact at Enya a note...I don’t expect an answer on a weekend, and I’m pretty sure there is a language barrier at play as well.

And I would caution that not every K brand ukuleles is excellent, and that there are good ukuleles from China. For some reason...this X1, and specifically the neck, was not. They were shipped within a week of each other, so perhaps they were from a bad batch. This also goes to show why Pono puts a truss rod in the neck of their instruments. A bowed neck is not a rare phenomenon; at my last school, we ordered guitars for a guitar class and someone chose the cheapest Yamaha classical guitar they could find...where the neck did not have a truss rod. You guessed it...all 30 guitars ended with a bowed neck. They killed the class minutes after I left that position...I think they are all sitting in cases, unused...and unusable.

I know there is an anti-Chinese ukulele bias among many “advanced” ukulele players—as if the beginners who are drawn to them would have bought a $600 or $1300 ukulele if Chinese ukuleles were not on the market. After the Aklot situation, Barry May has decided not to review any more ukuleles that are Amazon only. He wants to only cover ukuleles that are sold in stores. That’s fine, but I hope someone else steps forward to review Amazon only ukuleles because people—particularly beginners—are going to continue to buy first ukuleles that way.

You're right, I've seen bad K brands, even had a local shop tell me one of them has quality control issues I was looking at, and I've seen Chinese Ukes that looked better, sad...

Buy what you can afford, is what should be spoken, and there are decent Chinese Ukes being made, from some well known names in the Uke business.
    Last edited by AlohaKine; 12-17-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

I hope you will keep us updated on your situation.
    Hope Amazon stands by their products although it is over two months! Let's hope the situation resolved in your favour.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

So far, so good with mine, which I've had since 11/03/17. A few weeks after it arrived I saw the unfavorable Amazon review, so I contacted an experienced ukulele acquaintance who had purchased an HPL tenor in September (his second Enya); at that point he had had no problems. Good luck to all (including me) as we get farther out from our initial receipt. I know issues may take a while to develop, but so far I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by kvehe View Post
    So far, so good with mine, which I've had since 11/03/17. A few weeks after it arrived I saw the unfavorable Amazon review, so I contacted an experienced ukulele acquaintance who had purchased an HPL tenor in September (his second Enya); at that point he had had no problems. Good luck to all (including me) as we get farther out from our initial receipt. I know issues may take a while to develop, but so far I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Hopefully it is just an isolated incident, no fun for Besley though. Nothing some gasoline and a match won't solve. Then I send the video to Enya
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Hopefully it is just an isolated incident, no fun for Besley though. Nothing some gasoline and a match won't solve. Then I send the video to Enya
    According to Camsuke it may give toxic fumes!
    It’s good to hear Kathryn has not had any issues.
    Could be an isolated case !
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Ouch. Sorry about that I was hoping this was going to be one of those Super-low introductory prices of $22 (which seemed absurdly low, but probably just to get good reviews on amazon initially) - crappy - at half that price, I'd be merely peeved. This price would p%ss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    About $120 I think.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Well instead of torching it, you could turn it into a Flame Throwing Enya! LOL

Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Hi, besley again! Sorry to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    As I write this the relief has grown to 0.024" at the fifth fret, which is an absurd amount of bend. I tried to capture the curve of the neck in a photo or two, with a straight edge on the left side of the photo to show that the curvature you see is not a result of the lens.
    How did you get this small amount of relief? Why do you get relief at the fifth fret?
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, besley again! Sorry to hear.

How did you get this small amount of relief? Why do you get relief at the fifth fret?
    I'm not sure I understand the question? I mean, I didn't DO anything to the neck - like using steel strings for example - it just warped by itself. The action at the 12th fret is 0.100", which isn't too bad. But due to the warping it's just over 0.080" at the 5th fret, which is rather a lot.
    Last edited by besley; 12-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Thread Information