Season 305: Holiday Extravaganza!

'El Noi de la Mare' (The Child of the Mother) is a traditional Catalan Christmas song.

You may have to turn this one up as I think my phone mics coming to end of days (as are my one year old worn out strings eeeek )

Last edited:
Here's a quick instrumental of a Christmas song I've always liked. I didn't realize this song dates back to 1864.

Growin' up in the sandhills of south Texas
We never got much snow
Although I can recall one time it snowed
Many years ago
And on the TV I could see other kids
Throwin' snowballs, buildin' snowmen
And as a kid, I felt sorry for myself
Wished I could be like them

Well, I went and asked my daddy
You think it's ever gonna snow?
He looked me, a little sad, it seemed
And said, Well, he didn't know
Anything is possible, he said,
If it's cold enough, it can
But I'll tell you what son, next time it rains
We'll build a sandhill snowman

And boy, I'll tell you, I prayed for it to rain
I prayed it hard and simple,
I prayed it clear and I prayed it plain,
For just a little sprinkle

We didn't have a white Christmas that year,
But we had it good and wet
The rain fell hard and a blue norther moaned
And that's as white as it could get
Christmas afternoon I said, I know it's cold,
But Daddy, if you can
Can we go outside so you can show me how to make
That sandhill snowman

So out we went and he scooped a little sand
Molded it into a ball
He put it on the ground and kept packin' on the dirt
Leaves, and twigs, and all
Then he made another and put it on the top
Then another, smaller still
With a stick he drew a little face on it
And said, Now make a big one, if you will

Ain't nothing but wet sand for miles around
He said, with a little smile
Scoop it up and pack it as much as you want
But it might take you awhile

And that's what I did, and it took me all day
Until the night was comin' on
He called for me to come in for some supper
When the sun was almost gone
I said, Daddy, look at the snowman I made
I did it just like you said
And he looked at me for a long minute
And slowly shook his head

I was covered with mud from head to toe
He said, I can't tell you two apart!
That sandhill snowman was as tall as me
I said, I reckon it's a start!
With an old straw hat on top of its head
A little tuft of hay for its hair
Two big acorns were its eyes
And its ears were prickly pear

He said, If that don't beat all!
Man alive! Let me tell ya what I mean!
That's got to be the best and the biggest
Sandhill snowman I've ever seen!

Last edited:
And Merry Christmas from The King (1957).

We're visiting family the rest of the week. I'm bringing the funfetti uke and would like to get a duet in with my nephew (it will look very much like the Martin's household, which would be fantastic), but we'll have to see pending parental approval.

Thanks for hosting this week Randy. I wish you all the very best for this holiday week. Stay warm (or cool if you're in the southern hemisphere).

I've been out for a few weeks, but back again, with a cold.
A bit of fun...

What a wonderful Season it's turning out to be!

pabrizzer I Wish You All A Merry Aussie Christmas Oh yeah! This song needs to get out there! Wonderful! Koala poop!

hendulele Here Comes Santa Claus Yup, this one of the Great Ones!

AlanDP O Christmas Tree This is a good arrangement indeed. I like your audio effects, too!

AlanDP Tumbleweed Christmas Tree I really enjoyed this one. Love your delivery! And the flashing tree!

turtledrum The Gift What a lovely original song for this Season! It is so carefully constructed and beautiful!

YorkSteve I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday Now this is what I love the most about this Season, learning a new wonderful song that I've never heard before! Well done!

bird's eye view of my ukelele It's Christmas, Baby Yeah baby! I didn't know it before, but I was looking for this exact song!

LimousinLil O Holy Night Well done! This has been done so, so many times, and I'm happy you added to the chorus!

Recovering Bassist I'm gettin nuttin for Christmas Bwaaaaa ha ha ha! I'm mad all right - mad in love with this video! You just made my day!

wee_ginga_yin Winter Mourn Really good song. Thanks.

mythinformed El Noi de la Mare Just gorgeous. You are so talented!

Jazzbanjorex Jolly Old Saint Nicholas Nice. An old classic we don't hear very much anymore!

Recovering Bassist Up on the house top Fun old classic! Nice picking!

Jazzbanjorex It's beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas I love the app running in the background! Good one!

AlanDP Sandhill Snowman Terrific original, it's well-made and interesting. I like this a lot. C'mon up to see me if you want some snow to play with!

Desert Pavement Christmas is Going to the Dogs New one to me - I like it! Good work!

Desert Pavement Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me Oh yeah. A little Jordonaires rockabilly sounds pretty good right now!

Rustyy Xmas on the Isthmus This is a fun one! Thanks for bringing it!

Never been able to get my head around the Santa thing and what it teaches kids...
Why wouldn't he distribute food and medicines ALL around the world?
Why a toy factory in the north pole - why not a scientific laboratory to cure disease and illness?..
Whatever - I hope this guy gets a lump of coal!

paoriginal.

As my ukulele's so silent I thought I may as well do a quick burst of Silent night ..........my last entry here now until I sort out the strings/recording Issues.
Don't forget...............Whack up the volume !!! Lol

Greetings,

It's not fancy, no time. I tried to do something different.

Ciao

In the spirit of Brian's negative plea to Santa, here is my modern, unrepentant Scrooge telling it like he sees it.

PS Anyone looking for alternative Xmas songs might like to check out my selection of original Xmas songs written over the last few Xmases.

Last edited:
There's nothing more exciting than your first song on a brand new ukulele! Except maybe playing it at home, on holiday to see the family for the first time in five years.. and at an amazingly scenic spot.

At the moment, I've come back to America from Myanmar, and I'm currently enjoying a nice holiday at my sister's place near the ocean in San Diego. We've already exchanged gifts and my parents were kind enough to give me a PlayStation 4, which I had asked for on an impulse, but then sent another email the next day retracting my request. It was too late. A single 47 year-old man has no need for a video game console. Instead, today, we shipped it back to Amazon and went up to the Hale Ukulele shop in San Diego (worth a visit if you're ever here) and bought the replacement gift: a Kala KA-BE baritone ukulele.

If you enjoy travel videos, here's a link to the growing playlist depicting my 2 weeks in the USA and 1 week in New Zealand.

Top Bottom