Cordoba TM-20CE: uneven sound across strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJX

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forums. I just bought a Cordoba TM-20CE ukulele. My problem is that when I plug it in to my audio interface or amp, I'm noticing the outside strings (A/G) are not amplified as loud as the 2 center strings (E/C). I've got about 5 days left to return the uke, so I was wondering if anyone here might have any ips on how to fix the problem, as I like the sound of the uke. Can I replace the pickup? Fix/replace the actual pickup strip to make things amplify evenly etc?
Alternatively any other recommendations for a good electro tenor uke in the 200-300 range? I'm a beginner player but want to try out some recordings in my studio and such, so I'd like to know what my options are, if I should return this uke and get something else (I got this from Guitar Center), or if the uke can be tweaked/fixed to sound evenly across all strings. Thanks for any assistance/advice!

Hello, new to the forums. I just bought a Cordoba TM-20CE ukulele. My problem is that when I plug it in to my audio interface or amp, I'm noticing the outside strings (A/G) are not amplified as loud as the 2 center strings (E/C). I've got about 5 days left to return the uke, so I was wondering if anyone here might have any ips on how to fix the problem, as I like the sound of the uke. Can I replace the pickup? Fix/replace the actual pickup strip to make things amplify evenly etc?
Alternatively any other recommendations for a good electro tenor uke in the 200-300 range? I'm a beginner player but want to try out some recordings in my studio and such, so I'd like to know what my options are, if I should return this uke and get something else (I got this from Guitar Center), or if the uke can be tweaked/fixed to sound evenly across all strings. Thanks for any assistance/advice!
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time for pickups to settle in under string tension before balancing out some. If that's the problem, make sure you only change one string at a time when it's time to change strings in the future. That said, if after a couple of days of the strings being tuned to pitch the pickup hasn't settled in, I would return it as defective...unless they can fix it on the spot and not charge you. Tell them the problem and they should exchange it or refund no problem. If you bought it online, I would think they would pay return shipping too. If you bought it online, they probably never even touched the instrument...just received the box and shipped it back out. No inspection or setup....not that they do that with what is hanging on their walls either most of the time. Musician's Friend, who is owned by the same company is the same way. They are easy to deal with on returns on problem instrument though, in my experience.

As for studio use, why not just mic an acoustic uke? You won't beat that for the most natural sound.
If you're looking for plugged in sounds only, check out the Risa uke solids. They are not traditional looking instruments at all, but do the plugged in thing well...not acoustic. Ukerepublic might still have a tenor around. It's just over $300.
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/risa-uks385mp-solid-maple-stick-concert-ukulele-w-pu
Looks like the concert is sold out.
I've tried out all three sizes and they're great for what they are, if you can get used to the non-traditional aspects.

For future reference: Check out the above seller, Elderly Instruments, Mim, uke-fan, HMS, etc. for some places that actually inspect and setup the ukes before you get them.

Last edited:
I had a 20TM-Ce and had no problems. Insure the piezo and saddle are seated level and firmly in the slot. My Cordoba came with Aquila strings which I thought sounded horribly brash. I installed a mellow linear set and never looked back. Lovely deep rich sound. I believe you can get this sorted out and it will perform as well as many ukes costing far more. I also hand rubbed my "flat" finish to a lovely, deep, low gloss.

Hi, any links or tutorials on how to check that things are all seated properly? I've read about that, but want to be extremely sure of what I'm doing, to avoid the risk of damaging the instrument. I like this Uke and have seen/read positive reviews on it (for the price range), so if I can do anything to get it working good, I'm willing to give it a try. Was also thinking of exchanging it for another of the same model to see if I get better luck, or perhaps contacting Cordoba directly?

The Guitar Center I got it from was my local one, so in that case it's just a trip to the store.

There is not much to checking the pickup and saddle and no risk of damage to doing so. Loosen strings so they are out of the way, pull the saddle and inspect its lower face where it contacts the pickup. It should be smooth flat and even lengthwise and in cross section. I'm talking flat. Lay it on something you know is flat like a metal straight edge and shine a light from behind and look for gaps. If you see any, a few strokes against some fine sandpaper on a smooth surface takes care of that.

Carefully lift up the pickup element and make sure there isn't anything between it and the bottom of the saddle slot. Blow it out or use some compressed air to make sure the channel is clear. Lay the pickup back in so the end is touching the treble side of the slot and is laying nice and flat. Replace the saddle in the same orientation it came out. Re-string and see if volume has evened out or not. If not, I might check with a fresh battery. If still a problem, return/exchange it. My 20tmce was very balanced and had no issues like this.

My 20tmce sounds great plugged in. I agree make sure the saddle is flat.

Sorry for the long delay in replying, but for the sake of completeness and future reference for anyone else experiencing the same issue, I figured I'd reply. It took me a while to get around to it, as after the holidays work and life demanded much time...

But following the tips given here I sanded the saddle a bit, but the G/A strings were still sounding somewhat lower and uneven. I then realized that the pickup strip had some pull room, so I pulled it out as far as it would go. Originally, it was laying right under the saddle, and would end right before the saddle did. When I pulled it out all the way, I now have about half an inch that sticks out from under the saddle; however, the sounds from the strings is nice and even! So pulling out the pickup to cover the entire saddle did it! Unfortunately I have that little piece that sticks out from under the saddle on the a string side, but I'm ok with that. Was wondering if I could cut it, but I'm thinking it will damage the pickup. ???

I also replaced the original strings with a linear set of Worth Brown, and this thing now sounds great!

So thank you all for your help in this matter, I'm glad I kept the Uke, as it does sound very nice. I enjoy the acoustic sound of it more than the amp sound, so I use it mainly unplugged. I later got a Risa stick as recommended by above by JER for electronic/plugging purposes, and I love that thing as well! Not sure what strings to put on that one though, so it has factory ones for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom