Which KALA?

ThunderBell

Reaction score
Hi!

I am about to buy my first uke and I am in doubt with these 3 KALA concert models: KA-C, KA-SG and KA-CEM. I have seen some videos and the three of them sound quite similiar for me but their price is considerably different. Could anyone tell me in which things they differ? I want the best value for the price.

Maybe the KA-CEM sounds a bit louder than the KA-SG but I am not sure. The one that looks better for me is the KA-SG, I find it nice, but the KA-CEM is also beautiful! I don't know which one choose :confused:

The KA-C & KA-CEM are both mahogany which are warmer tones then the KA-SG, which has a spruce top, and spruce is a brighter tone.

The KA-C & KA-CEM are both laminate mahogany, and the only difference is the fancier looking grains on the KA-CEM so you're better off saving your money and go with the KA-C, but if you want a brighter sounding Uke then buy the KA-SG.

All would be a good choice. The KA-C and KA-SEM are both all laminate and will sound very close and are very close in price as I recall. Both should sound pretty good. The KA-SCG has a solid spruce top, so it will likely be a bit louder and may have a bit better tone. One consideration is that if you go with the KA-C or KA-CEM you will have a more durable uke because of the all laminate (less effected by humidity changes). Then should you continue and want a better, maybe all-solid, uke you will still have a durable take anywhere uke. I don't think you can go wrong with any these three.

Hi!

I am about to buy my first uke and I am in doubt with these 3 KALA concert models: KA-C, KA-SG and KA-CEM. I have seen some videos and the three of them sound quite similiar for me but their price is considerably different. Could anyone tell me in which things they differ? I want the best value for the price.

Maybe the KA-CEM sounds a bit louder than the KA-SG but I am not sure. The one that looks better for me is the KA-SG, I find it nice, but the KA-CEM is also beautiful! I don't know which one choose :confused:

I have some Kala Ukes and my experience is that the more you pay the more you get for your money.

Here is a video comparison of the two laminates that you mention: https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=2&list=PLXRoGYHslPD_jDRF5OaWfB-lYOM0il1nR&v=ZbHzcGxwv1o - you might want to fast forward to about half way through. I think that you would be happy enough with either but I think that the CEM would be my choice - and though he has others passing through his hands Rich Davis (in the video) chooses one too. If you go for the solid top instead then just be aware that you might not like the way a particular wood colours the sound and that they are more fragile than laminate Ukes. At this stage in your playing I suggest that the CEM would serve you best.

Whatever you buy please be aware that a good set-up will almost certainly be needed and it will make a large difference to how well the Uke plays. A while back a friend borrowed my Uke and found it easier to play and more pleasing to the ear than theirs. I advised a change is Strings and work on the nut and saddle, that done they are delighted with the transformation.

Last edited:
My SEM has been my main player for a few years now and the exotic mahogany laminate certainly is a thing of beauty to look at. Buy from Mims or another that does a proper setup to assure the ease of playability to guarantee happiness.

I recently made this a low G soprano with awesome results.

My concerts and my tenors for now remain unplayed. I prefer the looser feel to the strings on a soprano. But that is a different story...

Had to look I have a KA-SCG sitting in a case here.

Thank you all for the answers. i think I Will go for the cem. i want to buy It in the web Duke of uke, because they ship to my country (I am currently living un Netherlands) and is the best price I found. Has anybody bought un this web? Do they make a properly set up?

Thank you all for the answers. i think I Will go for the cem. i want to buy It in the web Duke of uke, because they ship to my country (I am currently living un Netherlands) and is the best price I found. Has anybody bought un this web? Do they make a properly set up?

I’ve no experience of the shop either and am distrusting of virtually all shops (been let down by two big name U.K. shops). The CEM is available on Amazon and EBay at a better price than on D of U. I’d email the eBay seller seeing what they can do for you, not sure what’s possible with the Amazon seller.

Good luck.

I am un doubt again D: I was decides por the kala ka-cem but somebody told me that the ka-cg and the ka-cem have the samw sound. The price difference is because the wood of the cem is a bit more expensive. I think I like more the appearence of the ka-cg but the other is quite nuce too. The glossy finish make It more beautiful, vut does It affect the sound? I gonna think about It a bit more.

They are both laminate mahogany, there is very little difference, except in looks.
I'd just get the KA-C as your first & put any extra money you have towards an electronic tuner & a digital metronome.
Then start saving up for the inevitable next uke. ;)

I am un doubt again D: I was decides por the kala ka-cem but somebody told me that the ka-cg and the ka-cem have the samw sound. The price difference is because the wood of the cem is a bit more expensive. I think I like more the appearence of the ka-cg but the other is quite nuce too. The glossy finish make It more beautiful, vut does It affect the sound? I gonna think about It a bit more.

I have no actual hard proof or evidence but I think the CEM does sound better. I have played a number of them, they are a popular model here in Canada. I have always been impressed with the sound of them. If you like the looks of the the CEM than that is reason enough to buy it over the others. If you love the looks you will pick it up and play it more often and you will improve quicker.

Season’s Greetings, may you and all on UU have a good Christmas Celebration.

The posts above (#12, 13 and 14) pretty much nail it in favour of the CEM - loads of good reasons - and I would support them too. The difference in price between the two (Edit. KA-C and KA-CEM) is relatively negligible and from what I can see and find the CEM is superior to its sibling, and in more than just appearance.

Though I now don’t need to be mean with money I still am, if it were me choosing and spending then I’d find the best deal on a CEM and buy that - for the enhancements you get (and will later be glad of) it’s worth the extra money and the extra money is really not that much.

Edit. Note that the OP has introduced an additional model or version with the KA-CG (originally was: KA-C, KA-SG and KA-CEM , and KA-SG should have been KA-SCG) and that is possibly confusing the issue now. If the OP is actually picking between a CG and CEM then I’d be tempted to go with the CG, it’s bound where as I believe the CEM might not be, the CG and CEM prices are near the same (CG slightly cheaper) and my SLNG (same series) is both rather nicely put together (better than a basic KA-C) and sounds good.

Last edited:
I own a CEME, a SLNG, & used to have an S, both of the last two are gloss finish, they are nice lookers & sound good, but I will admit the CEME has more my kind of tone, very slightly less 'sharp' sounding.

You will inevitably buy other ukes, so go with the one that appeals to you the most. :)

I own a CEME, a SLNG, & used to have an S, both of the last two are gloss finish, they are nice lookers & sound good, but I will admit the CEME has more my kind of tone, very slightly less 'sharp' sounding.

You will inevitably buy other ukes, so go with the one that appeals to you the most. :)

It’s beyond me now, but I wonder if the slight change in tone is more due to the larger body than anything else.

Go with what appeals most works for many folk, if you like the looks you’ll play it more and improve more ‘cause of that.

Note that (for the op’s Information) I have edited #15 above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom