Changing drum size on a Firefly banjo uke

captain-janeway

Reaction score
I don't have the banjo uke yet, but looking at design, I'm wondering if I can put a larger brace in the center to accommodate a 10" drum for a more banjo sound.

I don't know how this is set up and if that brace under the drum goes all the way through to the neck or if it's separate. Obviously this wouldn't work as a quick swap if it does.

It's supposedly built to be able to break down. I'm thinking of putting in a longer internal brace, bigger drum and readjusting the bridge to meet the 12 up, 12 down measurements.

Anyone ever work on one or even see one to know if it's possible or even worth it? I'd like something light that plays more like a banjo. I could get a Goodtime, but it weighs a ton.

Thanks.

I don't have the banjo uke yet, but looking at design, I'm wondering if I can put a larger brace in the center to accommodate a 10" drum for a more banjo sound.

I don't know how this is set up and if that brace under the drum goes all the way through to the neck or if it's separate. Obviously this wouldn't work as a quick swap if it does.

It's supposedly built to be able to break down. I'm thinking of putting in a longer internal brace, bigger drum and readjusting the bridge to meet the 12 up, 12 down measurements.

Anyone ever work on one or even see one to know if it's possible or even worth it? I'd like something light that plays more like a banjo. I could get a Goodtime, but it weighs a ton.

Thanks.

You can buy a 10 inch Remo hand drum quite cheaply, buy a 10 inch rim rod off eBay, you can even buy a neck and fretboard, then all you need to do is sand the neck to fit the body and you have a banjo uke.

You can buy a 10 inch Remo hand drum quite cheaply, buy a 10 inch rim rod off eBay, you can even buy a neck and fretboard, then all you need to do is sand the neck to fit the body and you have a banjo uke.

Thanks. Looked for some DIY, and it looked like for most I'd have to add blocks of wood to get the nut to 12th fret to bridge measurements right, glue, sand, put in frets, etc. I kept reading that Id have to add the blocks otherwise the measurements wouldn't come out right unless I basically end up with the bridge close to the edge of the drum which will mess up the sound. Maybe it would work right on a tenor neck but not on a concert or soprano.

I don't really have a lot of tools for it. I'll keep looking, but can you recommend one or let me know if my idea for that Firefly might work? Found someone who might do a straight trade of a firefly for a Kala cedar top that I have. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. Looked for some DIY, and it looked like for most I'd have to add blocks of wood to get the nut to 12th fret to bridge measurements right, glue, sand, put in frets, etc. I kept reading that Id have to add the blocks otherwise the measurements wouldn't come out right unless I basically end up with the bridge close to the edge of the drum which will mess up the sound. Maybe it would work right on a tenor neck but not on a concert or soprano.

I don't really have a lot of tools for it. I'll keep looking, but can you recommend one or let me know if my idea for that Firefly might work? Found someone who might do a straight trade of a firefly for a Kala cedar top that I have. Thanks

Try this thread
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...FS-Southern-Cross-Banjo-Uke-New-Model-quot-Th

Top Bottom