Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concert vs Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I've found that the lower string tension of a concert offsets the extra string length of a tenor in this regard.
    I am not an expert either, just my experience. You have a valid point about lower string tension, a larger body size does help though. It really does come down to individual instruments. Some ring out better than others higher up the neck
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-23-2017 at 01:02 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

This is a bit off topic, but I really like satin necks on all my instruments (coming from violin). Do I run the risk of scratching a satin/oil finish on a ukulele over time with strumming techniques? I wish ukulele companies made gloss bodies with natural/oil/satin necks.

You can make a glossy neck satin using mild abrasives, or remove the finish entirely if you wish. Or if you don't trust your abilities, have a luthier do it for you.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazyliszek View Post
    I wish ukulele companies made gloss bodies with natural/oil/satin necks.
    The new Pono Master Series features exactly that: a high gloss body with a satin finished neck...

https://www.theukulelesite.com/catal...+master+series

Other than that, there are several custom makers who offer this combination, like Ko'olau and Kinnard, but they will cost triple the price of a Pono. Kanilea offers this option upon request.

I was wondering if a tenor ukulele has any advantages, like playing more advanced songs up the fingerboard?
    All things equal in build and technique, a tenor will sound clearer with more sustain when you play up the fret board.
    The physics of a longer string... just do that.
    Then again... you might not need a longer sustain, or want that sound, or want to deal with the higher string tension.

As people say, there is a different sound and character to a tenor.
    It's one I prefer, but different strokes for different folks.

There's no right or wrong answer, but there is a difference.

So much of this is personal - finger and hand size, ability to fret chords on a small instrument etc - then come issues of the size of your wallet. I now have four sopranos and two tenors. I had a concert but did not really connect with it, it was personal. If you have decent strings on a quality instrument you will never be let down. On the other hand a poor instrument poorly set up will be horrible whatever the size. In the middle of that there will be difficulties with a quality instrument that is badly set up. I have bought and sold several instruments before deciding on my preferred instruments.
    Play lots and make decisions carefully.
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Mele pineapple soprano - koa and mahogany - modern
    Martin SO, modern, Mexico
    Mainland longneck concert pineapple
    No name concert in koa
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

Quote Originally Posted by frianm View Post
    So much of this is personal - finger and hand size, ability to fret chords on a small instrument etc - then come issues of the size of your wallet. I now have four sopranos and two tenors. I had a concert but did not really connect with it, it was personal. If you have decent strings on a quality instrument you will never be let down. On the other hand a poor instrument poorly set up will be horrible whatever the size. In the middle of that there will be difficulties with a quality instrument that is badly set up. I have bought and sold several instruments before deciding on my preferred instruments.
    Play lots and make decisions carefully.
    That is so true. I bought a concert to start, and then I bought another concert upgrade. I just figured I was a concert kind of guy. Then after four years of playing concert ukuleles, I bought a soprano just to have around and as maybe a backup. I've only played the concert a few times since. But the question was concert vs tenor, and in my case anyway, I had to draw the line in regards to how big I wanted to go and still feel like I'm playing a ukulele. I drew the line at concert. Of course, that could change. I try not to become so committed to something that I am not open to change.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have probably offended owners of fleas, sopranos and sub $1500 instruments.
    GRRR, I'm SO offended, both of my most expensive ukes cost just over 1500 total!

(JK)
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

This is a bit off topic, but I really like satin necks on all my instruments (coming from violin). Do I run the risk of scratching a satin/oil finish on a ukulele over time with strumming techniques? I wish ukulele companies made gloss bodies with natural/oil/satin necks.
    I hear ya, I hate gloss finish necks. UGH!
    The 1st thing I did to my guitar and banjouke was take the finish off!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

[QUOTE=Nickie;2026967]I hear ya, I hate gloss finish necks. UGH!
    The 1st thing I did to my guitar and banjouke was take the finish off![/QUOTE

I hate gloss full stop. Always looks like plastic to me.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

Thread Information