What ukulele to buy as my first instrument?

vladm

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm a beginner in a ukulele world, but i'm usually obsessed with something when i decide to give it a try. So my new obsession is ukulele. Never played, never had it, but want to know more about it, and more important I want to buy a good first ukulele.

so my question is, what ukulele should i get as my first one?
Iv heard that soprano is like basic one, so i will probably look forward to get one of them

Please help me to choose :) :cool:

I had about same problem some time ago, but after searching few pages on google i found this webpage with great Donner Soprano ukulele, mby it will be useful for you.

Here's what I did when I began:

1. decided on a size
2. decided on how much I wanted to spend
3. saved the money
4. looked at all the options my money would allow me

I bought a well reviewed $100 Luna laminate tenor from Hawaiian Music Supply so I knew it would be setup correctly. After I played it for a year and knew it was going to be a long term hobby I bought a solid top Pono. If/when I get decent enough to know the difference maybe I'll get a top notch instrument.

I went with a Tenor as I have big hands and wanted the easiest size for me to learn on. I did go to a few local shops and try the different sizes, it was however of limited use as I couldn't play any of them.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

If possible go to a shop that has sales people who know about ukuleles. They can show you how to hold the instrument and finger a couple chords. Try different sizes to see what fits your hands, and different brands & woods to find out what sounds good to you. Also have the sales person play the instruments so you can hear them from a different angle. If you find something you like and the staff was helpful, buy it from them and support small business & customer service.

Assuming you are a medium sized person, a Concert is a good choice, a good cheap Uke is a Caramel CC-100 ( Amazon or E-Bay) and a Caramel Gig bag with it will cost you ~$60-$70 and take a week or so to get from China. Down load a chord chart, a key chord chart and the Uke Syllabus from the stickies above the Beginners forum and get on the you tubes for Uke Tutorial. Cynthia Lynn and Mike Lynch will get you started. While you're on E-Bay get a $5-10 Tuner and you'll be set.

Learn the C, A, and G chord Keys from the Key Chord sheet and work thru the Syllabus and practice twice a day for 10-30 minutes at a time until your fingers toughen up. Try a set of D'Addario EJ-99 carbon strings after about a month on the Aquilas the CC-100 comes with and you'll be a intermediate duffer inside a couple of months.

In six months you'll be playing and wondering if you should buy a "Good" Uke. Save your money until you can afford a ~$300 uke. Keep reading the UU and practicing. But have fun doing it and if you decide that the CC-100 is good enough you still won't have spent more than $100.

I asked that same question over four years ago, and I'm still confused.;)

Top Bottom