Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Case for Duke 10 Banjo Ukulele

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default Case for Duke 10 Banjo Ukulele

    My recently acquired Duke 10 Banjo Uke will shortly be on its way to a new UU owner, since I didn't need two banjo ukes. But before I pack it up I wanted to share a tip with anyone looking for a good case for their Duke 10. It does come with a gig bag, but it would provide no protection for the head, and it wouldn't really be safe to transport that way without popping out the bridge. I've looked, but I haven't found any hard cases that accept a 10" hoop.

    On a whim I tried putting the Duke 10 in the Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag that my Farallon came in.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFBAXEA...O7VMBU55&psc=0



    It's a pretty good fit, especially since the sides are held quite snugly, so that the hoop can't slide around, and there is a good inch or two between the top of the bridge and the case lid. Not perfect, but much better than the stock gig bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    My recently acquired Duke 10 Banjo Uke will shortly be on its way to a new UU owner, since I didn't need two banjo ukes. But before I pack it up I wanted to share a tip with anyone looking for a good case for their Duke 10. It does come with a gig bag, but it would provide no protection for the head, and it wouldn't really be safe to transport that way without popping out the bridge. I've looked, but I haven't found any hard cases that accept a 10" hoop.

    On a whim I tried putting the Duke 10 in the Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag that my Farallon came in.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFBAXEA...O7VMBU55&psc=0



    It's a pretty good fit, especially since the sides are held quite snugly, so that the hoop can't slide around, and there is a good inch or two between the top of the bridge and the case lid. Not perfect, but much better than the stock gig bag.
    Is this still a soft case? I'd really prefer one as hard as I can get. I drive moped, so it will be strapped into a milk crate on the back. Better safe...

    Anyone else some up with anything? Looks like a couple of people found this one, but I didn't see a hard one listed. Yes, I will try Gold Tone or Deering

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Nope, this is a soft case. If you want a hard case I think there was another discussion about mandolin cases being a workable option.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Nope, this is a soft case. If you want a hard case I think there was another discussion about mandolin cases being a workable option.
    Thanks. I'll do another search. Mandolin neck seems like it would be closer to concert size. Maybe I'll take it into a shop and check too

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Nope, this is a soft case. If you want a hard case I think there was another discussion about mandolin cases being a workable option.
    I like hard cases for everything, and when I had my Duke 10, I was looking at mandolin cases. Unless you actually try the fit, you don't know until you receive it. Then you could have the expense of returning it. My other thought was to make a wooden case.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I like hard cases for everything, and when I had my Duke 10, I was looking at mandolin cases. Unless you actually try the fit, you don't know until you receive it. Then you could have the expense of returning it. My other thought was to make a wooden case.
    I'll definitely have to take it to fit. Researched mandolin cases and found most to be 27". The Duke is 29". Just got one and noticed the strings really need stretch time. I've tightened them a couple of time and they go out of tune fast. Oh well. I guess new strings need a couple of weeks to break in from what I've been reading.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    I'll definitely have to take it to fit. Researched mandolin cases and found most to be 27". The Duke is 29". Just got one and noticed the strings really need stretch time. I've tightened them a couple of time and they go out of tune fast. Oh well. I guess new strings need a couple of weeks to break in from what I've been reading.
    Yes, if does take a while for the strings to stretch. Be patient and keep tightening them.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    7,922

    Default

    My Duke 8 fits perfectly in a concert size Freemont hard case. Maybe a tenor case for the 10?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •