Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good read....

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I’ve been thinking about your words through the day and a book that I’m reading prompts an alternative understanding of them, unfortunately it’s not one that I can easily put into words. There is a process to learning about anything that takes time, patience, application and effort but the reward for that investment is competence and maybe even excellence. I’ve indicated what the journey is to reach competence and we are mostly agreed that the journey is tough. However, things are different if you’re of the mindset that doesn’t mind a tough journey, that enjoys the challenges, that draws strength from defeats and that takes pleasure and reward from the passing milestones. Electively enjoying the journey or process puts the issue in a very different light, well so I think and I think that that is the point you are trying to make.
    Well said. When I tell some people that I make instruments they sometimes say, 'You must love doing it.' No, there are some things I really enjoy, at times building does not fall into that category. But I want to get to a certain level of skill and I know I will have more than enough mistakes to live through before I get there. And once there I will just challenge myself more.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I’ve been thinking about your words through the day and a book that I’m reading prompts an alternative understanding of them, unfortunately it’s not one that I can easily put into words. There is a process to learning about anything that takes time, patience, application and effort but the reward for that investment is competence and maybe even excellence. I’ve indicated what the journey is to reach competence and we are mostly agreed that the journey is tough. However, things are different if you’re of the mindset that doesn’t mind a tough journey, that enjoys the challenges, that draws strength from defeats and that takes pleasure and reward from the passing milestones. Electively enjoying the journey or process puts the issue in a very different light, well so I think and I think that that is the point you are trying to make.
    That which is laborious, time-consuming, and frustrating is work. That which is joyful, fun, and exciting is play. Deriving income from what you love and inspires you has everything to do with play as long as the mind remembers not to fall victim to what many others consider drudgery. Einstein may have said it best, “Play is the highest form of research.” He also “played” the piano and violin. Hard work has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I totally disagree with that sentiment. Paying dues is so negative. Basically it says you have to become a dog or a slave to live or learn. Soooooo English. Maybe I missed something and maybe my outlook on life is wrong headed but I don't think so. I say follow the self and be free. Very Californian I know, but that is my take... Aloha Pete! I love you.
    Thought long and hard about this, I find your inference that the English are dogs and slaves offensive, totally lacking insight, no I'm not a Brit.
    Last edited by Santa; 12-26-2017 at 10:30 PM.

I totally disagree with that sentiment. Paying dues is so negative. Basically it says you have to become a dog or a slave to live or learn. Soooooo English. Maybe I missed something and maybe my outlook on life is wrong headed but I don't think so. I say follow the self and be free. Very Californian I know, but that is my take... Aloha Pete! I love you.
    Looks like you stepped on the land mine this time round Sequoia. However being an English man and having visited Scotland and spent 4 years in Wales many years ago I have been called a lot worse than a dog or slave so I wouldn't worry.
    In your defense I think everyone should be allowed to have a view on this forum and having read some of the responses I think we all need to embrace different opinions rather than singling out or whatever...
    Just saying we should be able to disagree but still get on. We are talking Ukuleles not world politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Train View Post
    That which is laborious, time-consuming, and frustrating is work.
    I find doing a fret job these things. Trying to get a perfect finish ranks up there also. Having a side break also sucks. Bindings that don't want to behave....

That which is joyful, fun, and exciting is play. Deriving income from what you love and inspires you has everything to do with play as long as the mind remembers not to fall victim to what many others consider drudgery.
    Learning how to do a task, do it better. Having an idea that you want to try and seeing it come into being. The satisfaction (and relief) of finishing a working instrument washes the above away.

Strange....I must have read Cumpiano's book 50 times over the years but never looked him up online. Glad I didn't because he seems like a real pompous ass from this post.

Maybe he should have served as an apprentice to a real pedagog. He might have learned that having contempt for your students isn't a great way to inspire them to go on some life long quest to master a craft. "Everyone wants to BE but nobody wants to BECOME." Evidently that goes for teaching too, jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    The article is written by a Californian no?
    Actually he is from Puerto Rico... However I retract my statement as being harsh on the English which was unfair. I apologize and I blame the wine and the metal splinter in my thumb for my crankiness. .. I think my point was about the whole "paying dues" way of learning which implies a master/student relationship. Sure there is a huge learning curve in lutherie and teachers and students is a fine relationship. I just find Cumpiono's attitude arrogant and off putting that's all. That said, I think he has some real knowledge to impart.

Actually he is from Puerto Rico... However I retract my statement as being harsh on the English which was unfair. I apologize and I blame the wine and the metal splinter in my thumb for my crankiness. .. I think my point was about the whole "paying dues" way of learning which implies a master/student relationship. Sure there is a huge learning curve in lutherie and teachers and students is a fine relationship. I just find Cumpiono's attitude arrogant and off putting that's all. That said, I think he has some real knowledge to impart.
    Well done for the apology.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

I try not to think of "becoming" as paying dues. To me, the connotation of "paying dues" is that you have to do something you wouldn't do voluntarily in order to get a reward. Nobody likes to "pay dues." I'm not a luthier, but I am an ukulele player, and I had to devote a lot of time to going from being a complete novice to becoming even mediocre. And while that may sound like "paying dues" to some people, I don't think of it that way because I enjoyed every minute of it. The art of "becoming" rather than "being" implies a journey, but if you enjoy the journey, it won't feel at all like "paying dues." Just my non-luthier two cents.

Another well done from me as well Sequoia, we all have our moments.

Bad luck about the splinter, can be very painful.

Thread Information