Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Type of pick used???

Default Type of pick used???

Well as you guessed....new here and a question I cannot seem to find the answer to readily.

What pick if you use one do you use to play the uke?

Material & thickness is what I guess I am looking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael70 View Post
    Well as you guessed....new here and a question I cannot seem to find the answer to readily.

What pick if you use one do you use to play the uke?

Material & thickness is what I guess I am looking to.
    There are some people who use picks, and I'm sure that they will check in here in time, but most ukulele players do not use picks. They strum with their fingers.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I play with picks. I use the same that I use on all my plucked stringed instruments - Dunlop Jazz III. I use the factory standards and also those made by custom makers in the same shape, just different materials such as bone, horn, and wood.

These are the best picks for ukulele that I have found: Wedgie Rubber Picks

If you must use a pick, they give a nice clear sound, without any 'pick click'. They do tend to wear on the edge, especially if you play hard at all.

When I first started playing ukulele, I ordered them by the 18-pack. But I seldom, if ever, use a pick anymore, and use my nails and fingertips now.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I don’t use a pick too often, but I do prefer them for soeed and clarity on some classical songs I learned early on—it’s what I got used to and was hard to switch to fingerstyle for these particular songs after I’d already learned. I went through a variety of picks before settling on two—Gibson THIN which I believe are celluloid, and felt picks. It’s really a preference of what’s comfortable for you and helps to try firsthand. Luckily one of my local music shops had a jar-full on the counter to try before you buy. Hope this helps.

Will take all advice here under careful consideration. I did see the felt picks. I may try some of those. I use to play a little guitar about 10 years ago and used a variety of picks. My favorite to get a jazz type pluck was a lignum vitae pick. Looked like a dinosaur crapped it out but wow what a nice little medium to make a pick out of.

My favourite pick is a homemade one. Made of a rubbery plastic flexible flooring material that I fished out of a trash bin years back. My uke teacher liked them so much he loaned me a punch designed to make the usual rounded triangle shape. I would post a picture but it is just a little grey triangle.

I use them on my Fender 52 concert because it sounds right. I don't use them often on my Martin T1k because it doesn't sound so good. Although sometime my strumming fingers are sore with worn nails so I strum with the pick. On my steel string electric, I use a very thin plastic guitar pick.

Felt and leather picks seem too thick and rigid. I imagine a softer and more flexible leather might be good. Look around to see what you have on hand. You can cut a pick with scissors, doesn't have to be perfectly shaped.

I use a pick when my finger nails are worn down to the meat... For me the best sound would be medium felt pick. It probably gives the best sound, IMHO. Doesn't have that super sharp sound to it if you were to use a plastic pick. The downside is that it wears out easily. My second pick I use is a plastic thumb pick but you have to show restraint or else you get the super sharp sound. Where if you're just using the fingers, no restraint needed

Leather pick, if I use one at all.
    Usually just the pad of my fingers or thumb
    Tin Guitar Custom "Smiler"
    Martin S1
    Ohana SK21-A
    Eko Microlele
    Epihone Hummingbird Tenor
    Kala Waterman
    Ohana TPK-25G

The truth is, I don't know.....

I think most people don't use a pick for ukulele.
    It's a nylon strung instrument, like classical guitar, and it really shines fingerpicked.

That being said, you can use any pick of your preference.
    The question is as broad as asking guitarists what picks they use. The answer is, whichever pick you prefer.

If you are concerned about damaging your ukulele top, it would be a good idea to get one of those plastic pickguards that just stick onto the top.
    You may need to cut it to size if it's designed for guitar.

For example, here's a guitalele I fitted with one of those aftermarket pickguards:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information