Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a luthier near Pittsburgh,PA

Default Looking for a luthier near Pittsburgh,PA

Need the nut replaced on my Kala KA-ASOV-S. It is recessed into the headstock or I would attempt it myself. Thanks
    Collings UC2
    LoPrinzi Custom Mahogany Model A - Concert / Peghed tuners / radius fretboard
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Which size is your nut? 36x5mm, 35x 5mm or 36x 3.5mm?

I think you can find exactly same size nut as your Kala in the Internet.

We can easily remove the nuts by thumb. We don't need hammer to remove them. Then we just need to shave the bottom with sandpaper in order to set up action. Shave is not much, because most factory setting is as it is.

I could not find same nut and saddle for my Ibanez guitalele. With a little help from booli, I could find them in eBay Ireland and Aliexpress China.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Which size is your nut? 36x5mm, 35x 5mm or 36x 3.5mm?

I think you can find exactly same size nut as your Kala in the Internet.

We can easily remove the nuts by thumb. We don't need hammer to remove them. Then we just need to shave the bottom with sandpaper in order to set up action. Shave is not much, because most factory setting is as it is.

I could not find same nut and saddle for my Ibanez guitalele. With a little help from booli, I could find them in eBay Ireland and Aliexpress China.

I think I located one a while back, but when I looked at the uke, it is setting down in a channel. Also, the uke has a gloss finish and I feel if I removed it, the end result would probably show it was replaced by a rookie. Lol. I would hope a luthier can redo the gloss around the headstock
    Collings UC2
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Found a stock photo. 8A1CEE63-DD53-4994-B3E1-97098EBBE7AC.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Collings UC2
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Hi, jjdejd!

I think your decision is right and local luthiers are great help in any means. But just in case you are brave enough to explore around your Kala before hand it to a luthier, you can remove your nut by your thumb. I don't normally glue the nuts on my ukuleles and guitars. I know your decision is right and I just say it for fun. Because I enjoy set up my ukulele and guitars by myself. It is a part of my ukulele hobby.

Kamaka HF-1 100

Thanks, maybe I’ll take another look at it. Should I score it with a razor?
    Collings UC2
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

One other detail, when I got the uke, the C string was not sitting properly in the slot. It had a dull sound. I bought a set of files and lightly filed it, but it doesn’t sound much better. That is the main reason I want someone to take a look at it. Thanks
    Collings UC2
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Hi, jjdejd!

Remove nut is very easy on ukulele and guitars. Because nuts and saddle are disposable parts.

Just push it like the figure below. We don't hurt the finish. You don't need glue it back, we can use it without glue.

Kamaka HF-1 100

Thanks for the info
    Collings UC2
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG
    Kala KA-SCG
    Kala KA-ASOV-S

Quote Originally Posted by jjdejd View Post
    Thanks, maybe I’ll take another look at it. Should I score it with a razor?
    Yes, this is STANDARD practice with a gloss finish. Otherwise you will remove and likely chip the finish around the nut.

StewMac has tutorial videos on their web site, and you will find LOTS AND LOTS of tutorial videos on YouTube on how to do this.

It's not rocket science, but does require some finesse and careful attention to what you are doing.

Also, if the nut is in a slot, you would tap it out from the side by placing a screwdriver at the nut's edge and then a few gentle taps with a hammer, of course AFTER scoring it with a razor, exacto or utility knife.

if it is in a slot, and you try to remove it from the bridge side, either by gouging/prying it out or tapping it out with a hammer, you are likely to break the wood that is betw the nut and the tuner shafts. DONT do this, do it from the side.

EDIT: I hope you see this comment before trying to do as ZZTUSH has advised, for that may in fact DAMAGE your uke.

You would do well to watch some YT videos first.
    Last edited by Booli; 12-29-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Thread Information