Playing by yourself?

Funny how this thread suddenly brought out a bunch of guitar players changed to ukulele !
Confession time ! :eek:

Funny how this thread suddenly brought out a bunch of guitar players changed to ukulele !
Confession time ! :eek:

I believe that Jake used to make a statement that the expectations are so low for a ukulele that people are easily impressed. While I do not consider myself anywhere in the same realm as Jake Shimabukuro, I am convinced that if I played the guitar at the same level, it would not be received the same. But take out a ukulele and run through some instrumentals in a key that allows a lot of semi-open chords up the fretboard, especially in re-entrant tuning, and non-ukulele enthusiasts can't believe the sounds coming out of that little instrument.

Truth is, regardless of what anyone might say, playing a ukulele is so much easier than a guitar. Most of the time I am only dealing with half the number of strings, doing stretches that could never be done, never have to mute strings, and no one ever compares my playing to the original artist. It is just too much fun with so much less effort. Why would I ever go back?

John

pitchpipe.jpg

I used to keep a pitchpipe in my case. I had to buy it for music class in Teachers' College. These days I'll often use a mouth harp or a Snark.

snark!!!.jpg

Top Bottom