Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diy pedalboard

Quote Originally Posted by dasuol View Post
    That looks great! Elegantly simple design. I love the padauk accents. I had a couple pedals that quickly multiplied into about 8 a few years ago. I never got around to building a pedal board though. Those little Donner pedals are a lot of fun to play around with and an easy way to experiment with different effects.
    Thank you. I've been a woodworking hobbyist a lot longer than I've been an ukulele hobbyist
    I view the Donner pedals as "appetizers" at $25 to $30 each. One of the main reasons I wanted to build a pedalboard was to tidy-up the power cord situation. It got messy having loose pedals all about and the cheaper pedals often don't include power cords so I was switching them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    While I do not own any stomp boxes, I would recommend the website of Aron Nelson, a Hawaiian who has played with Chris Kamaka. In addition to his music skills, he also is a programmer having written the unrealBook app (PDF music reader—very good app).
    http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/
    Looks like a great resource, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    If I turn the volume up to "2" I am shaking the walls with my A blues progressions. It actually sounds like I know what I am doing. Those pedals really hide all my faults and if I do make a mistake, I just repeat the mistake and--presto--it is a motif! I have grown very fond of chucking strings to give a percussive rhythm which wasn't possible when playing acoustically. .....
    Thanks for the chuckle. I think we're in the same place. It's purely fun for me, almost a guilty pleasure. I love the purity of an acoustic stringed instrument but it's a lot of fun to be able to plug in and experiment on another level with an entirely different palette of sounds.

Micheal brother -

I must say I very impressed with your timber skills.

I went the lazy and cheap route a while back. I have a bunch of pedals that I zip-tied to a Stanley 2 ft plastic pegboard square ($8) [that is meant for hanging tools on the wall] because I refuse to pay $100 for a Pedaltrain board or one of the nicer pre-made ones.

It looks something like one of these panels:

It works fine for home use since I rarely need to move it.

However, since I got the Zoom MS-100 BT, which is a multi-effect pedal the size of a single pedal, I do not use the other effects much.

You've got some nice effects there, and they have a very nice home. I like that you can route the cables via the slots on the board, and when all finished you will likely not have a spaghetti mess of power & patch cords to contend with.

When you get around to fixing them with velcro, might I suggest to use less than you think you need on each pedal. Like only 1" squares at the corners.

I made the mistake of initially using a 2.5" wide x 4" long adhesive velcro strip on the back of each pedal, and once fixed down, trying to remove to reposition them required the use of a screwdriver as a lever to pry them off the board. Not fun.

I am happy to see you applying your timber skills to your music interest. This project in addition to your Cajon build looks very professional and I am looking forward to what you create in the next projects.

Thanks for sharing
    This FAQ link will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Good morning Booli my brother and thanks for your never-ending encouragement. Combining hobbies has been the ultimate therapy for me. I actually have several ukuleles on the workbench in various stages of completion but since they require a lot more care and attention than these other projects they patiently wait their turn. Since I'm not a gigging musician (and depending on your definition I may not be a musician at all ) the pedalboard was mostly for convenience. Having everything set up at the ready with only one cable for power makes it a lot more fun to play and experiment. Velcro is the devil's tool There's no arguing it's usefulness but I have always found it annoying...maybe it's the sound? In any case I decided to try 3M Dual Lock Fastener for this project. It's sort of a "plastic velcro". I have a strip of it holding the power supply on the underside of the pedalboard and it seems to work wonderfully.
    Last edited by photoshooter; 12-31-2017 at 03:34 AM.

Great job with the craftsmanship on the petalboard. While surfing the internet yesterday, I stumbled across a 'Deal" at Sweetwater for a Digitech Trio for $49.95. Although dumb as a post on most things involving electronic tech, I punched the "order" button. I've always wanted the sound of bass and percussion background to my tenor and baritone strumming. I hope this thing works with simple ukulele stuff as well as guitars. Not to hijack your thread but I certainly would appreciate any comments re your experience this device. Thanks.

Please share some more photos when you've got it all wired up and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bariukish View Post
    While surfing the internet yesterday, I stumbled across a 'Deal" at Sweetwater for a Digitech Trio for $49.95. Although dumb as a post on most things involving electronic tech, I punched the "order" button. I've always wanted the sound of bass and percussion background to my tenor and baritone strumming. I hope this thing works with simple ukulele stuff as well as guitars. Not to hijack your thread but I certainly would appreciate any comments re your experience this device. Thanks.

Not a hijack at all, in fact I would welcome more conversation on the topic since I have lots to learn.
    I think $49 for the Trio is a no-brainer. The one I have is the Trio+ which adds looping functionality. I've had it for less than a month and although I didn't put it through any exhaustive testing I did get several opportunities to play with it. I must say it's exactly what I had hoped it would be. You "teach" it a chord progression and it comes up with accompaniment. You have the ability to fine tune the genre (rock, blues etc) as well as the tempo. As I get more familiar with it I'd be happy to post more observations. I would also love it if any forum members who use a Trio would chime in with their thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dasuol View Post
    Please share some more photos when you've got it all wired up and ready to go.

Absolutely!

I’ve seen folks use pedals before but they’ve never looked as good as yours does. I doubt I could ever figure it out but your box would sure make me look good. LOL

That looks really nice. Good job.

Thanks to both of you. I’m not that great an ukulele player so maybe the pedalboard will draw attention away from me

Thread Information