View Poll Results: Which way do you prefer to play?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerstyle

35 71.43%
  • Strumming

14 28.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fingerstyle vs strumming

I mostly strum. That said, I do a little picking within chords too sometimes. I'm not sure that should qualify as fingerstyle though. I tend to associate fingerstyle with more instrumental music, and as something much more involved than what I do.
    I also will hit a single note here and there while strumming in sort of a folk or country type style. I'm just more rhythm oriented on uke.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    Have you checked out Samantha Muir's website (she's British)? She has a ton of tab music for ukes. I think her beginner's book is called something like 'The Art of Arpeggios". http://www.samanthamuir.com/ukulele-2/
    Thanks - I'll have a look. I picked up one of Tony Mizen's books as a result of a recommendation from here which has nice fingerstyle arrangements for ukulele.
    My music teacher and I are developing some beginner's ukulele courses on Udemy.

Promos and discounts here.

Fingerstyle only for me. I can't play and sing at the same time (as if anyone would want to hear me to sing), and strumming alone would be boring as heck.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I started all strumming, trying to incorporate more fingerstyle now. The Samantha Muir books will really get all the right hand fingers going. On the other hand, I've watched some videos by Kimo Hussey, and he plays the heck out of his ukes using what looks like mainly thumb and pointer, pincer style. So I guess there are many degrees of fingerstyle.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.

I do both. No preference, other than my mood.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

I don't understand the question and need a explanation as to the difference between "strumming" and "fingerstyle". With my steel strung guitars I use a plectrum and I pick and strum with that. With my ukulele, I use the fingers to strum and pick ... so I guess it would be fingerstyle as I don't use an additional tool.

I don't have a real preference but I guess I actually do more strumming as I mostly play to accompany vocals. Or, in my case, to try to drown out vocals.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

I play both. I voted "strumming" because it's losing and I felt sorry for it.

Are you really asking about whether we play melody? Because I often fingerpick chords to accompany vocals and I am not sure if that's included in your definition of "fingerstyle."
    Last edited by acmespaceship; 01-02-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    I don't understand the question and need a explanation as to the difference between "strumming" and "fingerstyle". With my steel strung guitars I use a plectrum and I pick and strum with that. With my ukulele, I use the fingers to strum and pick ... so I guess it would be fingerstyle as I don't use an additional tool.
    Finger style usually means picking out the melody, whilst picking individual notes of a chord is usually referred to as arpeggiation.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I'm primarily fingerstyle, since I can't stand the sound of my own voice. But I'll happily strum and sing with others, or play chords to accompany other instruments.

As for resources - I'm not very familiar with free/online sources since I prefer print, but there are many, many books to choose from. OP has already seen Tony Mizen's books; the late John King put out two classical books as well. Fred Sokolow is currently releasing a number of books that have both chords/lead sheets and fingerstyle tab (I like his Beatles book), James Hill just released one, and there are a few from Lyle Ritz and Herb Ohta Sr. available through Flea Market Music.

And if you have access to a Japanese bookstore or are willing to order online, you'll find countless options. Ukulele is huge in Japan and some really great players/arrangers have done books ranging from standards to pop to classical to anime/video game themes.

Thread Information