View Poll Results: Which way do you prefer to play?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerstyle

35 71.43%
  • Strumming

14 28.57%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fingerstyle vs strumming

Default Fingerstyle vs strumming

I'm curious as to which way people prefer to play.

I can't sing very well so I prefer fingerstyle because I can make it sound more like the song I'm trying to play.

But it seems that a lot people prefer to strum chords?

Which do you prefer and why?
    My music teacher and I are developing some beginner's ukulele courses on Udemy.

Promos and discounts here.

I do both of and I don't prefer one over the other. I play fingerstyle and sing to it as well. A lot of songs sound good accompanied by fingerstyle. Others sound better strummed. It just depends. I like to mix them up for variety. So I can't vote.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Option three: both have their own place.

I tend to play more with strums at this point in my ukulele career (they are easier for me for now), but I have fingerstyle on my practice plan and I am careful not to neglect it.

I started off picking melodies, & only later gave strumming a shot, because I wanted to join in on the Seasons threads, & they mostly sing & strum, but when it's just me, I pick melodies.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Like Rllink and MopMan, I like to do a bit of each, sometimes in the same song. For Five Foot Two/Please Don't Talk About Me, I like to play the melody using finger style and strum while I'm singing.
    Is chord/melody style considered strumming?

I have never used a flat pick on my ukes, but two of my students, who had been playing for a while before they came to me for lessons, use the pick exclusively. I have tried to get them to experiment with finger style, especially for double stops, and they have reluctantly given it a try.
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 01-02-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Hm . . . tough question. I voted for fingerstyle because I love all that you can do with it and I love baroque and classical music, but strumming is probably more fun and relaxed for me. If I am going to sing along, I strum. Strumming is easier for me, too.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

I voted fingerstyle but I actually do both as well. I like to sing for both styles if there are words included. It might be better to make a poll answer that includes both.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegarcia View Post
    I voted fingerstyle but I actually do both as well. I like to sing for both styles if there are words included. It might be better to make a poll answer that includes both.
    Yes - I thought of that. But I was curious as to which people liked most. Ideally, I guess, you'd be able to play both and choose which one depending on the song and if you were playing with others etc.

Interestingly, so far, fingerstyle is winning the poll. But a lot of the resources that I find only gives chords. Sometimes there is a lead sheet but often not arranged for ukulele or have ukulele tabs (I can read music but I'm a bit slow). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!
    My music teacher and I are developing some beginner's ukulele courses on Udemy.

Promos and discounts here.

I voted fingerstyle. I'm currently on my 2nd book of classical tabs from S. Muir's website. My 2018 goal is to get though each of her classical books.

I like the way strumming sounds, but what time I have to practice I end up spending on fingerstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaJ View Post
    ... But a lot of the resources that I find only gives chords. Sometimes there is a lead sheet but often not arranged for ukulele or have ukulele tabs (I can read music but I'm a bit slow). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!
    Have you checked out Samantha Muir's website (she's British)? She has a ton of tab music for ukes. I think her beginner's book is called something like 'The Art of Arpeggios". http://www.samanthamuir.com/ukulele-2/

Thread Information