29 20.00%
  • Concert

46 31.72%
  • Tenor

55 37.93%
  • Baritone

15 10.34%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite scale uke? 2018 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    I would have to go with soprano. All the scale sizes have their nice attributes, of course, but I like the challenge of standing (or sitting) there with nothing but that little soprano, so "minimalist", and making it "work" with whatever songs I can come up with that fit my ever-declining vocal range (usually songs I grew up loving during the sixties and seventies).
    I voted concert, I guess because I picked concert to start with and I have two of them. But Bill's argument makes a lot of sense to me. I recently got a spruce top soprano and frankly have not hardly picked up my concert since I got it, pretty much for the same reasons that Bill states. If I hadn't already have clicked on the button, I would vote soprano.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I chose the concert scale. When I switched to the ukulele a couple of years back, I was used to the scale of a regular electric bass. At that time, I couldn't get happy with anything shorter than a tenor scale. And that's what I played for about two years, until a friend cured me from that believe by first handing me his sopranino. Of course, I couldn't get along with that at all. But after trying the sopranino for about ten minutes, his Glyph custom made soprano uke suddenly felt like a double bass in my hands. From that moment, I started enjoying the soprano scale as well.

But even the best custom made soprano can't make my huge hands any smaller, and although I am able to play regular, simpler stuff on a soprano, I still feel more comfortable with a longer scale for more jazzy or other elaborated stuff.
    Now, I find most tenor ukes somewhat oversized, and I agree with the user who earlier wrote that his famous ukulele size is a soprano longneck. Mostly, because I often prefer the sound of a soprano. But for me, that means it's a concert SCALE, although size-wise it's a soprano.

However, the latest addition to my collection, just arrived earlier this week, is the Koaloha soprano with a tenor neck. Right now, I suppose she has a very good chance to be my favourite uke. So maybe in the next edition of this poll, I might vote for the tenor scale again. I think it's all constantly changing.
    Last edited by frolicks; 01-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Soprano for me. I started on a concert and have two tenors, but I always come back to a soprano.
    - Laura

concert for me - its where the string tension suits the music I play. Also, when I bought my Blackbird uke, the only way to get an ekoa instrument was to buy concert scale. And the Blackbird Clara does it all - put reentrant strings on it and it does a great soprano bark, the linear tuning sounds as good as any tenor for finger picking... wish I had two so I could keep one in each tuning.
    Blackbird Clara
    Concert Flea
    Pono MB
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke (concert)
    Gold Tone Resouke
    Hadean Uke-Bass
    Gold Tone Microbass
    Deering Goodtime Special (5-string banjo)

Buckle Up
    http://ut.zerofatalities.com/

Aaah the scales. In my opinion a fretboard soloist has 2 things to learn. The scale and how to adjust mentally when going higher up the neck.

And I think maybe one can learn 2 different scales, like soprano and concert. Or concert and tenor. I would imagine the difference between soprano and tenor is maybe too large, that you would need to look where your fingers go?

When I got my concert I would always need to look, because I was used to guitar scale. Now that I have got used to it, i can play "blind", but noticed that now I need look on my guitar. Because the scale is so different.

I'm only talking about guitar like instruments where you have 1st, second , 3rd and little finger on subsequent frets normally. Instruments like mandolin that is tuned to 5ths, require a different attitude. Myself I don't know about it, but used to play violin as a hobby until I got tired of upsetting my neighbours lool.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 01-06-2018 at 02:16 AM.

16" scale concert

When I first started thinking about playing the ukulele and was researching it I just got confused with so many opinions and options, so I picked concert just because it was in the middle, thinking not too small not too big. But I think that I have pretty big fingers, size 11 ring finger, I don't know how that compares to others, but I have not noticed any difficulty in fretting a soprano after four years of playing concerts. In fact, I was surprised that the soprano was a bit easier to play because I didn't have to stretch so far for some of the more spread out chords that I have to play sometimes.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I voted for concert because that's all I've played at this point. I have 2 concerts, but I'm eyeing an Outdoor Ukulele(soprano) and a Tiny Tenor for 2018. So my preference could change once I have some more experience.

I voted for tenor. I am not sure if it is because it is my favorite scale or if it is that I just like the way my tenor sounds compared to the others I have.

OK, this sounds really weird. I am a petite woman. 5'2" (on a good day). I have small hands - wear a ring size 4.5 and can reach an octave on the piano but not much more. YET, the concert and tenor ukuleles seem to be easier for me than the soprano. I have a hard time holding a soprano - too small. The small neck is harder, too. I can finger the chords fine, but it is just the holding of the soprano that is hard for me. I got a Pono soprano because the neck is a little wider, but it mostly sits in its case.

All that being said, I don't get to play very much - or haven't lately. I am trying to schedule it into my evening. I will have to test drive my ukes to make a more informed decision. But for now, I'm sticking with tenor.

I have never tried a baritone.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    I voted for tenor. I am not sure if it is because it is my favorite scale or if it is that I just like the way my tenor sounds compared to the others I have.

OK, this sounds really weird. I am a petite woman. 5'2" (on a good day). I have small hands - wear a ring size 4.5 and can reach an octave on the piano but not much more. YET, the concert and tenor ukuleles seem to be easier for me than the soprano. I have a hard time holding a soprano - too small. The small neck is harder, too. I can finger the chords fine, but it is just the holding of the soprano that is hard for me. I got a Pono soprano because the neck is a little wider, but it mostly sits in its case.

All that being said, I don't get to play very much - or haven't lately. I am trying to schedule it into my evening. I will have to test drive my ukes to make a more informed decision. But for now, I'm sticking with tenor.

I have never tried a baritone.
    Installing a strap button makes a huge difference when it comes to holding a soprano - just sayin'.

Your post does underscore my earlier statement that it's not just scale length that makes a favorite, a favorite. Sounds like we're about the same size and I've got small hands too, and can reach chords just fine on concert scale - but as I mentioned earlier, a regular concert body feels enormous and clumsy (as does a tenor or a guitar for that matter!) for me. Ukulele ergonomics - could be a whole other post!

Thread Information