29 20.00%
  • Concert

46 31.72%
  • Tenor

55 37.93%
  • Baritone

15 10.34%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite scale uke? 2018 edition.

Default What is your favorite scale uke? 2018 edition.

IF you had to pick just one scale, what would you pick? Choose your favorite. I know this thread/poll has been done before, but I'm just interested in an updated version with all current members who will participate.

My first uke about 4 1/2 years ago was a whim purchase, but when I started playing it, I found it difficult to form chords. I discovered it was a soprano and being that I played guitar for almost 50 years, I decided tenor was better for me. I went out and bought a tenor cutaway and that's been it ever since, gone through 23, down to 7 now.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-02-2018 at 07:50 AM.

It’s all depend on the songs and level of difficulties.
    If I must pick one I vote for tenor and I just clicked the voting button. That’s cool. I like having a poll
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I picked baritone, though tenor is slowly growing on me. Tenor requires finer motor movements which I notice particularly in the right hand, but as it gets more familiar and I play it better, I like it more. Baritone is easiest and is still my go-to.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I would have to go with soprano. All the scale sizes have their nice attributes, of course, but I like the challenge of standing (or sitting) there with nothing but that little soprano, so "minimalist", and making it "work" with whatever songs I can come up with that fit my ever-declining vocal range (usually songs I grew up loving during the sixties and seventies).

I picked tenor, but I do like the baritone too, especially for finger picking. That said, I started playing guitar in 1968, and I began playing classical guitar in 1977, so I'm definitely not coming at this from an ukulele perspective. I might like to try a concert at some point, but for now I'm happy with my tenor and baritone.
    Last edited by twokatmew; 01-02-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

I find it really hard to pick between tenor and concert. In the end I went tenor for the slight volume boost and marginally more substantial tone.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Concert! I never considered a soprano because my fingers were just too squished on the ones I tried in various stores. I loved the concert size immediately and still do. I bought a tenor but I was never able to bond with it. To me it seemed more like a guitar than the ukulele size and sound I was looking for. I ended up selling it because I never really wanted to play it.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I'm saving my vote for when my first tenor comes in the mail later this week! Never played one before, but the concert has always seemed cramped for me. But between concert and soprano, definitely concert.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

I went for soprano, but only because my true favorite wasn't an option in the poll: longneck soprano! It's the best of all worlds for me, so much so that I think this year I'll be re-homing my two concert ukes in order to fund another longneck soprano.

Thread Information