Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beah Hannam "Grand Selmer" Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Yes, a whole step (F-Bb-D-G). To me, all of my tenors sound better Bb than C. My Farallon sounds best at B. Many tenors have a natural body resonance that is close to a C, so can sound muddy there. Southcoast Strings has a lot of great info on this: http://southcoastukes.com/ti-tuningyouruke01.htm

Linear means the 4th string is lower than the third string, as opposed to re-entrant when the third string is the lowest note. If tuned C, people call linear tuning "Low G".

I'd encourage you to experiment on your tenors and see what you think.
    Thanks. I am a ukulele novice so I only own one tenor that plays in tune. I tried out the Bb6 tuning on that tenor (re entrant) and I noticed two things right away: more mid range sound and barre chords were much easier up and down the fretboard. I do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Arpeggio View Post
    Thanks. I am a ukulele novice so I only own one tenor that plays in tune. I tried out the Bb6 tuning on that tenor (re entrant) and I noticed two things right away: more mid range sound and barre chords were much easier up and down the fretboard. I do like it.
    Yes, as you noted about the tone, another added benefit (for some, myself included) is lower (but not floppy) tension.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Eddie, that is one hell of a review! And, having received my BH at the same time as you did, I believe every word.

I wish I had the mental capacity right now to write my own but my treatments have been sucking my IQ and vocabulary out of my brain. But then again I could get away with saying I was left speechless by the quality, tone and play-ability of my BH Tenor and that would be the truth also.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Current Instruments:
    Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted/Waterfall Figured Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tasmanian Blackwood

Congratulations, Eddie! What a special instrument this is, and a great review. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    Eddie, that is one hell of a review! And, having received my BH at the same time as you did, I believe every word.

I wish I had the mental capacity right now to write my own but my treatments have been sucking my IQ and vocabulary out of my brain. But then again I could get away with saying I was left speechless by the quality, tone and play-ability of my BH Tenor and that would be the truth also.
    Thank you kind sir

Love the tone on your sound sample.

Oh my goodness, Eddie. I have been away from this corner of the interwebs, and am just catching up.

That is something else, even by the lofty standards of a Beau Hannam ukulele. Love the fluid lines of the heel and headstock; a look that just begs to be touched. Congrats on another stellar addition!

Thread Information