Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G: Nylon vos Wound Any Impressions

Default Low G: Nylon vos Wound Any Impressions

Hi,
    New to the forum, so this may be a repeat thread. Who likes the wound vs. they Nylon low G and why?
    Thanks,
    Ron

I hate the wound low G. I hate it because the texture is so different. I can't get over that. And I can't get over that squeaky sound it makes when I transition between frets. Also, it seems very much louder than the other strings. I can't say that I exhausted the choices in wound strings; maybe there's one out there that isn't so bad. However, that's my limited experience.

All depends on how you play and what strings you use. Used to be wound low-Gs sucked. These days there are some really nice options. Nice enough that I've thought about switching from nylon. From a tension and pitch point of view, a wound string is quite superior. But you can beat the feel of an all-nylon set.
    Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

I tried a wound low G early in my ukulele life. Like Ripock, I hated it. Didn't like the feel, didn't like the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound. So, I abandoned low G for a year or so. Then, wanting to try some transcriptions that required low G, I tried a few non-wound ones. I didn't like them and went back to wound. Turned out I love the wound low G.
    Brad may be right, that the available strings are better than ones from years ago. In my case, I think it was simply that my skills had gotten me beyond making so much noise when fretting. Also, I realized guitarists, all guitarists, deal with this every day. So, I got over it.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

I prefer wound low G. In fact on my low G tuned Tenor I want a wound C as well.

Got a Low G set (3 & 4 wound, 1 & 2 unwound) from Chuck Moore. I'll not use anything else unless Chuck says he's found something better.
    Last edited by flailingfingers; 01-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.

thanks!
    I am also told the "Fremont Soloist" is a great wound G. I have a couple on order.
    As a classical guitarist, I'm used to the squeaks, I guess....
    Ron

Polished wounds are the way to go for wound, but I have been using Living Waters or Latitude 24 unwound low g’s.
    Keep Strummin'

I play with a wound G(Fremont Soloist) no squeak as it’s a polished string. To avoid it overwhelming the other strings it needs to be combined with a wound C also. I prefer nylon to fluorocarbon strings for E and A and I use D’Addario black nylon. Beau Hannam custom Selmer Macaferri Tenor.

I prefer wound for low G. Nylons sound too thuddy to me and I don't like how fat they feel. My go-to strings for low G are Fremont Soloist and Southcoast wound sets.
    Super Tenor
    Kinnard Kimo Hussey Torrified Spruce/Master Grade Koa

Tenor
    Mya-Moe #1976 Master Grade Koa Classic

Concert
    Kamaka Tiki Gold Label || Pohaku Koa/Maple Concert 10

Long Neck Soprano
    Asturias Spruce/Rosewood || Gerard Guasch #14 Mahogany Pineapple

Soprano
    Romero Creations XS Soprano Spruce/Koa

Sopranino
    Koaloha Noah