Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From concert to soprano

Martin nuts are usually about 36mm, Kiwaya and Famous about 37mm, and I believe that Islander are a full 1.5", or 38mm. A wide nut really helps on soprano, IMO.

A search on this forum might produce more but the only wide neck Sopranos that come to mind are the Islanders and the latest Lanikai’s Sopranos (eg. MA-P, 37mm I believe but check). They are in the $100 area and all laminate, two versions of the islander are available, the dearer on has a slightly longer scale and the neck joins at the 14th fret.
    http://www.islanderukulele.com/Custom/ShopCategory?id=1
    http://lanikaiukuleles.com/product/m...prano-ukulele/
    I still believe that a Concert would most likely serve you best, but it’s your choice and only you know all the factors involved in your decision.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 01-13-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Thank you for the added replies, links, advice, and experiences everyone. Surely the answer is to own all sizes, and multiples in said given size as instruments are still different in the same size. I know this from my guitar background. I will certainly research and play as many concert size and soprano size ukuleles that I can. I'm sure I will have fun in my searching!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Thank you for the added replies, links, advice, and experiences everyone. Surely the answer is to own all sizes, and multiples in said given size as instruments are still different in the same size. I know this from my guitar background. I will certainly research and play as many concert size and soprano size ukuleles that I can. I'm sure I will have fun in my searching!
    It’s good that the thread is a help, I think we learn from each other.

One of the pluses of being in a Uke group is that often other members are happy for you to look at and play their instruments, and share experiences, etc. I own several Ukes and that can be nice but I’ve also learnt a lot just from the instruments that my club buddies play - a cheaper option that leaves the house a lot less cluttered too. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post
    Have you looked at the reviews on Got A Ukulele? Barry favours wider nuts on sopranos and usually makes a point of mentioning nut width when testing an instrument. Speaking very generally, there seems to be a tendency for Chinese manufacturers to go for narrower nuts, but there are quite a few exceptions.
    Wide nuts are fine, but narrow ones have advantages as well. It's easier to barre just two or three strings on a narrow neck. Especially if you have to skip the first and/or second strings, like, for example, D. You can mush three fingers over there (which may be why some folks like wider) or bend the first knuckle of one of your fingers and get them all, which is faster--and easier for some. Because one person likes a certain feature a certain way doesn't mean that's the best for everyone, or even most.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

I just took a scale to my son's concert scale Ibanez and found it is at 35mm at the nut. From what I have read here on the forum this is on the narrow end, even for soprano. This certainly opens more doors for going with a soprano. If I can manage on the tightest ukulele nut width, then I should be good. I am used to adapting to different nut widths seeing how I play both steel string acoustic with their 1 11/16" nut width, and classical guitar with their 52mm nut width. My baritone is at 1.5". The wonderful world of various instruments!!

I love, love, love my Islander AS-4 (laminate acacia soprano) for many reasons. The nut width (1.5) is one of the main ones. I just ordered an Islander MC-4 (laminate mahogany concert) from Uke Republic to replace my Kala KA-CG. I'm just a hack, but the Islander feels great in my hands, is easier to play, sounds terrific; and costs about $120.

Quote Originally Posted by Junie Moon View Post
    I love, love, love my Islander AS-4 (laminate acacia soprano) for many reasons. The nut width (1.5) is one of the main ones. I just ordered an Islander MC-4 (laminate mahogany concert) from Uke Republic to replace my Kala KA-CG. I'm just a hack, but the Islander feels great in my hands, is easier to play, sounds terrific; and costs about $120.
    Thanks for sharing Junie Moon - I've read good things about the budget Islanders.

Searching for something entirely unconnected I just found this article on comparisons of ukulele nut widths. A couple of years old, but perhaps of interest.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post
    Searching for something entirely unconnected I just found this article on comparisons of ukulele nut widths. A couple of years old, but perhaps of interest.
    Very useful tool for everyone - thanks for posting BigJackBrass!

Thread Information