Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCS (String changing syndrome)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    I have string change avoiding syndrome. I only change strings when I have to. I've pretty much standardised my strings on two or three reputable brands that I find work for me. Then I can concentrate on doing what I bought my ukuleles for in the first place... playing them.
    I see no logic in that last statement of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Keep notes and share your knowledge, intrepid explorer. What about different tunings? You could be busy forever.
    Funny you mention different tuning. My Bruko 6, having been freed from the rigors of busking in gCEA, is now tuned to D tuning and I love it! Another new instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Great point!
    How so? Is this senior member ukulele wisdom? If you often change your strings you aren't a serious enough player?

Regular string changing had some attraction for me when I was first playing, but it's lost that appeal as time goes by. There's always the settling period, of course, and, as Geoff said, I'd rather play than retune. I have eight different types of strings on my nine ukes, so I do like to find the variety that sounds best on that instrument. And then play them until they wear down.

Some people are more into experimentation than me, too. YMMV.
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
    How so? Is this senior member ukulele wisdom? If you often change your strings you aren't a serious enough player?
    They are just further along in the Uke Game than you are. They have been through the changing of the strings and have come to their own conclusions. Looking back they think "gee, I'm glad we don't have to waste any more of our effort on that nonsense. Now we can concentrate on sitting here and playing our ukuleles in blissful sonority."

Someday you may arrive at a similar destination, and then you will understand the perspective of having settled on strings you really like.

For now, you are experimenting, and that is good! Do what is necessary to achieve the blissful sonority you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    I have string change avoiding syndrome. I only change strings when I have to. I've pretty much standardised my strings on two or three reputable brands that I find work for me. Then I can concentrate on doing what I bought my ukuleles for in the first place... playing them.
    Wow! Tootler, I couldn’t possibly agree more. The play(ing)’s the thing!

I was in your shoes once. Wanting to vary my uke collection but little gelt. Well I bought some cheap stuff. Not happy with some of my choices. Wish I had waited and saved to gelt for something nice. Your smart.

I think some of y'all are just stringing us along!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

When I first started I foresaw the dangers of this syndrome. Therefore I made it a rule of mine to never change strings after the ukulele enters the house (assuming they are good strings). Don't get me wrong. I completely agree with all the benefits of changing strings. However, for me, it would be an obsession and a distraction. It is easier for me to abstain than to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    They are just further along in the Uke Game than you are. They have been through the changing of the strings and have come to their own conclusions. Looking back they think "gee, I'm glad we don't have to waste any more of our effort on that nonsense. Now we can concentrate on sitting here and playing our ukuleles in blissful sonority."

Someday you may arrive at a similar destination, and then you will understand the perspective of having settled on strings you really like.

For now, you are experimenting, and that is good! Do what is necessary to achieve the blissful sonority you seek.
    I'm not just experimenting though. I like the variety of sounds, as do many who have ten different ukuleles for different sounds. And... "nonsense"? If you ask most people, playing the ukulele all day long is "nonsense".

Thread Information