Does anybody remember MUD?

ThinkbotB

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this is well discussed.

Back around 2008, I used to go to this site called MUD. Midnight Ukulele Disco. That was the name of the group. I think that it was a local television show out of New York City that they put online. Does anybody remember that?

I specifically really want to find this one song that I can't get out of my mind called Broken Knee Bone Barry. I think the songwriter/performer was just called Gideon. Anybody know anything about that?

I did a little bit of research. Using the Internet Archives Wayback Machine I was able to locate the last snapshot taken of the site, back in April of 2010. Unfortunately, I was not able to load any of the video files. They might not have been saved with the snapshot.

The site was an archive of recordings taken from weekly radio show "Midnight Ukulele Disco" that was broadcast on the Manhattan Neighborhood Network by a man named Jason Tagg sometime back in the aughts. It looks like James Hill and Jake Jake Shimabukuro both gained some exposure on this show in the days before YouTube.

I googled for Jason Tagg but it seems he disappeared from the Internet about the same time the site went offline.

Good luck on your quest to find this, and please do share if you find anything.

I do remember it as well, and they made several newspapers in their days - I even emailed one myself to Jason. Jason's still on Facebook, if you're looking for him. The other guy behind the MUD was Ted Gottfried.

Here's a brief history article, and yes, that Central Park video of Jake Shimabukuro of 'While my Guitar gently weeps' was made by and for MUD.

Ukeonthestoop.png

That's awesome, my dudes! I guess the next step is to cold contact Jason on Facebook.

That's a GREAT project to undertake! Thank you for doing it. "Broken Kneebone Barry," wow, what a trip that song is. Never heard it before. I only hope it doesn't stick in my head like it has in ThinkbotB's.

Hello this is an old thread -- but I thought I'd share the news that I've been restoring the archives of Midnight Ukulele Disco. It's all still very much a work in progress, but you can see Broken Kneebone Barry here:https://ukuleledisco.com/kneebone

Welcome, Midnight Ukulele Disco, and thanks for dredging this thread up to make us aware of your project! It's great to see that these video clips have not disappeared forever.

Where have you obtained all these clips from? Were you involved with the radio show or the long-defunct website?

Top Bottom