Aquila Low G unwound reds update

How would you describe the tension on tenor scale? I'm really more curious how this string might work on 19" scale. If it is medium to higher tension as a G3 on 17", then maybe it could serve as low to medium tension as an E3 on 19" scale which could be useful to me in a couple of ways.

Hey Jim I would say it is lower tension than a wound low G string. I just played it back to back with 2 ukes strung with Fremont and SouthCoast low G. When bending a note at the 3rd, 5th and 7th fret the Aquila Red definitely has less tension. I think it would do very well as an E3 on a 19"scale.

How would you describe the tension on tenor scale? I'm really more curious how this string might work on 19" scale. If it is medium to higher tension as a G3 on 17", then maybe it could serve as low to medium tension as an E3 on 19" scale which could be useful to me in a couple of ways.

I have it on my TT which is strung with Aquila Red soprano strings. The tension feels similar to the red soprano wound string it replaced. So probably medium to low.

I got my strings on Monday and the G has settled in now. It arrived just as the wound red soprano string I had was wearing out. It blends in fine with the rest of the red soprano set. It feels great. It didn't cause any intonation problems, even though it doesn't quite fit in the nut slot. And the sound, to me, is indistinguishable from the red wound I took off. I'm sold. Thank you, Mimmo, I hope the two strings you sent last until they are available for sale. Can't wait to try the sugar strings you included--I just hate to take these reds off before they're worn out.

Thank you for sending the new red low Gs so quickly. I've already played two gigs with the one I put on my Riptide tenor and really like how it sounds and feels on this uke. Two other uke players came to see me at my restaurant gig and they were impressed with the new string too.

I put the other low G on my Deering Goodtime banjo tuned GDAE and really like how it plays and sounds.

Another amazing thing about these new low Gs is how quickly they settle in. Both times it took less than a day!

I will be buying several of these strings when they become available.

Thank you so much! These are the strings I've been hoping for!

Aldon

Thanks Aldon,
actually I have already done a few thousands of these ones. So the problem is with the other one, i will put all them in the garbage. Unfortunately I have heard back from a few of those that had samples but all the comments are very positive. So I can go ahead.
Mille grazie
Mimmo

Ah, one more thing: the 3rd & 4th unwound Baritone reds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QDutnmhfE

Last edited:
Mahalo Mimmo I got my set yesterday!
Unfortunately the string is too large to use on my Compass Rose - it is a string-through bridge and both the high and low G will not fit together in the hole.
I will try it on another Ukulele though!
I will post a video once they settle in!

Mille grazie!

I have had the Red Low G on my spruce and myrtle Koolau tenor for a couple weeks now. This is a stern test for this string #1 being the string set on there is optimized through trial and error and #2 this uke has a wound C string. I thought the sound difference between the non wound G and wound C strings would be very noticably but its not bad.

Pros: Good deep sound. Resonants and sustains VERY well. No thuddy thumpy dull dead sound like most non-wound strings I have tried. Sorry non-wound lovers but those are my personal feelings. Mimmo asked for "haters"....his words

Cons: Large diameter, .040" compared to most wounds at .030". The texture is rough like the old Reds. The tension is lower then wound strings, noticeable when pair with a wound C . It is not floppy or loose but bends easier.

None of the cons are a major issue and if you dislike wound low G strings this is the very best sounding non-wound low G string I have ever tried. I have removed it and just installed it on my Farallon, will report back on this match

Well Done Mimmo.

Last edited:
I have removed it and just installed it on my Farallon, will report back on this match

Please report on the results of the Farallon setup!

thanks Downupdave,
you are a real good 'hater' ah ha ...heck: helpfull report.
Gauge: unfortunately i cannot do thinner strings because the copper powder permit to reach just a twice density than nylgut. Instead, a standard wound string has a density that is 4 time more: hence the brighter sound and thinner gauge. Said that I can add a bit more copper powder but I think that the string became even a bit more fragile. I would like to avoid any complaints about breackages, guys
take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
thanks Downupdave,
you are a real good 'hater' ah ha ...heck.
Helpfull report. Gauge: unfortunately i cannot do thinner strings because the copper powder permit to reach just a twice density than nylgut. Instead, a standard wound string has a density that is 4 time more: ence the brighter sound and thinner gauge. Said that I can add a bit more copper powder but I think that the string became even a bit more fragile. I would like to avoid any complaints about breackages, guys
take care
Mimmo

Thanks for the explanation Mimmo. I figure you have to walk a fine line between thickness, sound and durability. No one wants breakage problems again. As I said above the thickness and texture are minor issues. The sound is the best of any non-wound string I have tried and that is the most important thing.

Hello ukulele friends,

I saw that the post here is about the Aquila strings also, so I decided to ask here.

I am having a KoAloha Opio Concert Spruce Top Acacia (KCO-10S) and I have only played it for seven months, this is my first music instrument, which means I am a total new beginner. But I really enjoy the feeling when I play the ukulele, it is like meditating for me.

I have a question, with regards to the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

- and the "Aquila Red Series 71U Low G Concert Ukulele Single String"

I do not like the feeling at my fingers, when I touch the "4th Low G wound string" at the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

I prefer the "71U unwound Low G single string" because I think it feels better for my fingers.

Is it possible to use the "71U unwound Low G single string" at string number 4

- and then only use the 86U set at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

Will it be okay to do ?.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello ukulele friends,

I saw that the post here is about the Aquila strings also, so I decided to ask here.

I am having a KoAloha Opio Concert Spruce Top Acacia (KCO-10S) and I have only played it for seven months, this is my first music instrument, which means I am a total new beginner. But I really enjoy the feeling when I play the ukulele, it is like meditating for me.

I have a question, with regards to the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

- and the "Aquila Red Series 71U Low G Concert Ukulele Single String"

I do not like the feeling at my fingers, when I touch the "4th Low G wound string" at the "Aquila 86U Red Series Concert Low G Ukulele Set"

I prefer the "71U unwound Low G single string" because I think it feels better for my fingers.

Is it possible to use the "71U unwound Low G single string" at string number 4

- and then only use the 86U set at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

Will it be okay to do ?.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is is ok to replace just the wound lowG concert string with the non-wound Red 71U concert low G string. Both are concert "gauge" so tension and intonation will be fine.

Last edited:
DownUpDave:

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I am very glad to hear that it is possible to replace just the wound Low G 86U concert string, with the non-wound Red 71U concert Low G string..
and just use the 86U set, at the 3rd, 2nd and 1st string.

- Will definitely try it.

Peace,
Jonas.

Top Bottom