Thread: Favorite ukulele books

Default Favorite ukulele books

I'd like to know what ukulele books people have liked most--and why.

I have the new James Hill book, and one about the history of ukulele by John King, Ukulele Aerobics, the For Dummies books, and Famous Solos and Duets (John King). Actually, I probably don't need more, but would love to hear people's enthusiastic support for their favorites.

I've always dug The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick. If I could only own one music book, this is it - by a mile. Not an 'ukulele book, but a fabulous resource for any musician if you can be clever. It will stimulate your thinking, give you more ideas than you can shake a stick at, and always have some new secret to reveal at every step of your journey. Buy it now, read it, scratch your head, then put it away until next year. Then read it again and let the light begin to shine! You understand more than you did last year! Scratch your head, repeat... Good stuff.

The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten is also pretty cool if you want a metaphysical look at music that isn't instrument specific.

I guess this proves that when I was looking for uke books there weren't any good ones to be found. Now that I'm not there are lots! I had to improvise and ended up with a shelf of guitar books. You guys beginning in this era are totally spoiled!

The two sitting beside my bed and used nearly every day are The Baroque Ukulele by Tony Mizen and 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies for Ukulele by Rob MacKillop.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Zither Heaven, First Act

Tony Mizen's, From Lute to Uke. Fred Sokolow's, Bluegrass Ukulele and his Beatles book. And I like the two Carulli books I downloaded from Samantha Muir's classical uke site.

The James Hill, John King, and Tony Mizen books from Flea Market Music are my top picks. I've also been enjoying Daniel Ward's Arpeggio Meditations for Ukulele lately. Oh and - Ukulelezaza's three volumes!
    Last edited by janeray1940; 01-19-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

I second this choice. The 'ukulele is a 12 fret octave instrument the same as a guitar. This is a great book for musical mind stimulation. Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Guy View Post
    I've always dug The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick. If I could only own one music book, this is it - by a mile. Not an 'ukulele book, but a fabulous resource for any musician if you can be clever. It will stimulate your thinking, give you more ideas than you can shake a stick at, and always have some new secret to reveal at every step of your journey. Buy it now, read it, scratch your head, then put it away until next year. Then read it again and let the light begin to shine! You understand more than you did last year! Scratch your head, repeat... Good stuff.

The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten is also pretty cool if you want a metaphysical look at music that isn't instrument specific.

I guess this proves that when I was looking for uke books there weren't any good ones to be found. Now that I'm not there are lots! I had to improvise and ended up with a shelf of guitar books. You guys beginning in this era are totally spoiled!

Not sure that I liked these the most, but I enjoyed reading them.

The Ukulele a history - Jim Tranquada & John King

Ukulele for Dummies - this one got me started, so I guess I should include it.

How Music Works on the Ukulele - Phil Doleman - This is a self published book well worth the cost.

Plus, of course, my many music books full of tunes I may never get around to playing.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

How Music Works on Ukulele by Phil Doleman

Ukulele From Scratch
    Ukulele Blues both by Bruce Emery

Understanding Ukulele Chords by Robert van Renesse

Ukulele Chord Shapes by Brad Bordessa

How to Play Blues Ukulele ebook by Al Wood

Thanks for the great ideas. I hope to hear more suggestions.

I like Blues (and reading)

Manitoba Hal has a series of ebooks. I have 2 of them;

Ukulele Blues and Mastering the Groove.
    I also highly recommend his youtube channel.

Thread Information