Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele tab and notation software

Would MuseScore still be the top recommendation? I want to find a program to tab out ukulele music, (free or little cost, since who knows if I'll persist in this goal), and it sounds like this would be a top choice.

Any easy to learn options?

MuseScore is fairly easy to use, and free.

And can't speak for other pieces of tab/notation software, but it still works just fine.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I still really like Notion for this work, and it may be the most accessible software package (Mac/Win/iOS), but it isn't free. It's hard to beat free...
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I have been using GP since version 4, I have done every upgrade and am now on GP7.
    It is very versatile and for what it does it is not really very expensive.
    I like to make my own chord melody arrangements and having tab and notation is a real plus. I can also create custom chord grids in my arrangements.
    I also make slash charts for some of my students.
    Keep Strummin'

I've used Finale for many years and have gotten so I can play it like a piano! And, yeah, it does ukulele and guitar tabs like a champ, including altered tunings and custom courses (e.g., 7-or 8- string guitar). It works great with sample libraries if you need to export some backing parts. Like any pro level notation app, the learning curve is a bitch so expect to spend some serious practicing and learning before production.

I briefly used MuseScore but it was too buggy at the time, but the price is right and I'm sure it has improved during the last few years.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 07-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.

There's lilypond. It's open source, available on linux, windows and MacOS.
    It produces beautiful scores and tablatures. It can produce midi and pdf output.
    It has a steep learning curve. But it provides docs, lots of examples...
    http://lilypond.org/

Which is the easiest to learn, regardless of price? I'm on a Mac.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Which is the easiest to learn, regardless of price? I'm on a Mac.
    Pencil and paper? :-)

I very briefly tried MuseScore last night, after watching a couple quick videos. It does seem like it's not going to be too difficult to use, and best of all, it's free.
    I didn't do anything more than bring up a blank ukulele tab sheet and try entering in a little bit of random notation, (single notes, as well as using all the strings, etc.), and changing notes that had already been entered. But I was able to learn how to do that very quickly, so I'm guessing that for my limited use, it won't be too hard to pick up anything else I might need to be able to do. Except for the arranging of a song in the first place, LOL. But I want to work on that this summer, so I don't always have to hope I can find someone else's tab that I like.

I've used Finale for the most part since I work with standard notation for piano and voice, primarily. There's a free version of Finale (called Finale Notepad) with all the basic functionality, though if I remember correctly, it can't do key or time signature changes mid-song. I've used MuseScore (briefly) as well, but that was several years ago and as gochugogi said, I found it buggy and lacking in certain features I needed, which prohibited me from using it further. I'm sure it's significantly better now.

That said, take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I primarily use Finale for standard notation. I've been trying it for tab but found it a bit less intuitive than standard notation entry (at least using keyboard shortcuts). We'll see how it goes as I learn it (or Musescore) better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Pencil and paper? :-)

I very briefly tried MuseScore last night, after watching a couple quick videos. It does seem like it's not going to be too difficult to use, and best of all, it's free.
    I didn't do anything more than bring up a blank ukulele tab sheet and try entering in a little bit of random notation, (single notes, as well as using all the strings, etc.), and changing notes that had already been entered. But I was able to learn how to do that very quickly, so I'm guessing that for my limited use, it won't be too hard to pick up anything else I might need to be able to do. Except for the arranging of a song in the first place, LOL. But I want to work on that this summer, so I don't always have to hope I can find someone else's tab that I like.
    Up until now, pencil & blank tab sheets have been fine for me. However, I volunteered to teach a chord melody at my monthly uke group this month, and had to format the chord melody tabs as well as the chords for the "just strummers" in the group. My group leader is out of town, so I sent my arrangement to her to help format it. She's somewhere with limited internet & working off an iPad, so it took a lot of back & forth work for both of us to get everything formatted correctly. Thankfully, she had lots of spare time to work on it, and she was grateful to me for volunteering to lead the group & teach. We send music out electronically to the group ahead of time, so we had a time deadline to get it posted. This experience has made me see that I need to find a "real" program to use in the future.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Thread Information