NUD, Lanikai Thinline Figured Bocote tenor cutaway.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
After seeing and playing the Kala Thinline Travel uke that a couple of people in my uke group have, and quite impressed by the sound such a thin instruments puts out, I started looking around. A Kala tenor cutaway runs about $329, but I found a Lanikai Figured Bocote tenor cutaway, with pickup and preamp for $359, so I went for it.

My only thought was, will it have as good projection and resonance as the Kala. I received it today and yes, it certainly does. It has the same curved back that apparently allows for the resonance. Strap buttons were already installed.

I was actually thinking about having Bruce Wei make me one with the top that looked like an Ovation with the leaf sound holes, but when I inquired, Bruce said he carves the curve in the back rather than bend it, which concerned me that it would be heavy and not as resonant, and it was going to cost $640 with no pickup or preamp, so I went for the Lanikai.

Lanikai Thinline Bocote.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, that's one of the things that drew me to it. The Kala has a spruce top, I like this better.

Top Bottom