Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Outdoor v. Enya v. Fluke Tenors

Barry, I never understand why you get exasperated like this. I’m not even arguing with you! You are a person with strong opinions—which is why your work is so incredible—but at times the strong opinions turn into strong reactions! With this thread, another player said that they wouldn’t buy an Outdoor Ukulele any more because of how they interacted with you. I think it is fair to mention that they haven’t seemed to mention it again; I think it is fair to note that you have mentioned it several times.

Both are okay. Really. Or they should be.

You have a wonderful blog. I enjoy it very much. I have bought ukuleles based on your opinions. You’re influential—even to me. I do feel that you occasionally feel attacked when others express their opinions—and sometimes people are attacking. But I’m not attacking you...yet it seems that you think I am.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Sheesh - still not my point. There was nothing for them to 'mention again' because there was nothing mentioned in the first place. There was some spamming. I called them on it, the spamming stopped and I never heard from them again. That's it.

I mention it every time someone asks me why I don't have an Outdoor on the website - because that is the real answer. There is no other reason. If they sent me one, I would review it. i just very much doubt they will.

I'm not feeling attacked, but reading the thread back it seems like there was some sort of ongoing interaction between me and Outdoor - there wasn't and it's important I make that clear.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thank you for that.

Well now I own and play all three.
    The OU is very good, the neck is very nice, set up is great and it sounds very good.
    But is on the quite side. It will never be a go to in a group strum along.
    We just got a good jig bag and its going to be in the car 100% for long drives when my wife strums and I sing.

My Fluke is still my Number 1 uke.
    The Enya(s) rarely gets played, not because of any issues, just other ukuleles I'd rather play.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Well now I own and play all three.
    The OU is very good, the neck is very nice, set up is great and it sounds very good.
    But is on the quite side. It will never be a go to in a group strum along.
    We just got a good jig bag and its going to be in the car 100% for long drives when my wife strums and I sing.

My Fluke is still my Number 1 uke.
    The Enya(s) rarely gets played, not because of any issues, just other ukuleles I'd rather play.
    Thank you for this information.

I've got a Fluke, purchased it to strum out by the pool, on the patio, etc. Spends most of its time standing on its end next to my big comfy chair, conveniently located so I can pick it up at a moments notice and interrupt family TV time

But I've often thought of getting a Outdoor Ukulele and think maybe now I will continue to hold off on my purchase. While everyone seems to agree it is a quality instrument, and darn near bomb proof too, but I want people to hear how badly I play and don't like the idea of a quiet ukulele that can be drowned out by my off key singing.

Maybe someday I'll buy an OU. I keep looking at them. The desire is strong.
    Grey beard, tone deaf, rhythm challenged, but my dogs allow me to play for them so that is good enough for me
    aNueNue straight grain mango Custom Maui Mango III
    Lanikai spalted mango Concert TunaUke
    Magic Fluke concert Fluke w/K&K Big Island Spot
    Romero Creations flamed and spalted mango Tiny Tenor w/K&K Aloha Twin

I want people to hear how badly I play and don't like the idea of a quiet ukulele that can be drowned out by my off key singing.

That is what some will call a "Win-Win" situation!

Ralph

While I like my Magic Fluke concert sized FLUKE its time to admit that I do NOT love it.

The neck profile, to my hand, is just thick and cumbersome compared to my other ukes. It has, what I call, a flattened "D" shape profile and its a rather bulky one at that. My other 3 ukes all have a much more (dare I say delicate) slender and rounded profile. Despite what appear to be "cheap" parts like the plastic fretboard and body, it is still a serious instrument and those "cheap" parts are actually quality plastics that hold up. It also sounds pretty darn good too. It took me some time to get used to the Grover Friction tuners but they work, not my favorites, but I find no functional flaw. My one real complaint is the fat neck profile. I wish Magic Fluke made a neck profile that was a bit more slender. It just feels awkward every time I pick it up, and since it sits next to my favorite chair I tend to pick it up frequently.

The neck shape is probably the one reason why I might sell off the Magic Fluke and buy an OUTDOOR as a replacement.
    Grey beard, tone deaf, rhythm challenged, but my dogs allow me to play for them so that is good enough for me
    aNueNue straight grain mango Custom Maui Mango III
    Lanikai spalted mango Concert TunaUke
    Magic Fluke concert Fluke w/K&K Big Island Spot
    Romero Creations flamed and spalted mango Tiny Tenor w/K&K Aloha Twin

Some people profile the neck themselves to their liking and others have a luthier do the job.
    I've got largish hands a love the neck.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Some people profile the neck themselves to their liking and others have a luthier do the job.
    I've got largish hands a love the neck.
    Yes, it is possible to thin the neck or change the shape. Lots of wood there to work with.

Thread Information