Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your stratigies transcribing a melody line

Default Your stratigies transcribing a melody line

What stratigies do you find effective to transcribe a melody line of a song? There are songs I want to learn that do not have sheet music or lead sheets published. It is easy to find the chords.

Ed
    Pono MT solid mahogany tenor.
    Pono MBD solid mahogany Baritone Ukulele
    Córdoba 23T Tenor Ukulele
    Kala UBass SSMHG-FS, Solid Spruce top
    Old Kingston Baritone ukulele from the mid-1960’s. Using it as a test instrument.
    Cheap Savannah baritone being converted to resonator.

My poor and simple strategy is to pick a key first and then try to find the melody by ear... It's definitely hard work, but very rewarding and fun!
    Falling in love with Fingerstyle!
    Makala Dolphin, Kala KA-SLNG, Martin C1K

I’d start with asking about the song...it is pretty likely that someone else has transcribed the melody (even if not for Ukulele), and while you can transcribe things, note by note and rhythm by rhythm, it is always better to start from something and improve it/edit it.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I started transcribing the odd tune that I couldn't find by the "one note at a time" method. Slow and monotonous, but it taught me one good thing ... "there had to be a better way"!

Having learnt to read music, in a basic fashion, for the ukulele, I now know which notes to expect (and therefore which notes to avoid) in the basic keys ... C, D, F and G. So, having established my "start point" for the tune in question, I have a reduced number of notes to "guess at" and can get most tunes in a couple of passes ... "moody" key changes etc. not withstanding

Getting this result actually onto staff notation does take a bit more work, with the timings of each note etc. needing to be considered, but at least I've got something to refer back to that I can understand

So, in a nutshell, learn a few scales, so you know where the notes are, then you'll be better equipped to guess which notes are likely to be needed

YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

I think doing this task “the hard way” is the best way to go forward. Lately fortune cookies have clever fortunes. “The kind of advice we do not like to take often turns out to be the best.”

The song is “Buckskin Stallion Blues”. I’ll use Amazing Slowdown.

Thank you to all for your advice and suggestions.

Ed
    Pono MT solid mahogany tenor.
    Pono MBD solid mahogany Baritone Ukulele
    Córdoba 23T Tenor Ukulele
    Kala UBass SSMHG-FS, Solid Spruce top
    Old Kingston Baritone ukulele from the mid-1960’s. Using it as a test instrument.
    Cheap Savannah baritone being converted to resonator.

All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Edspyhill05 View Post
    The song is “Buckskin Stallion Blues”.
    Nice tune ... worth the effort!

I rather like the woodwind (recorder or flute?) harmonies towards the end
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

I've come to this thread rather late, but I transcribe a lot. So I thought I'd share. Here's what I do:

1. I try to find the first note of the melody by pecking around on the ukulele.
    2. From there, I just go up or down the neck as the melody dictates and find the rest of the notes. At this stage I usually just stay on one string...usually the G or the A.
    3. Once I have the notes, then I convert it to a multi-string arrangement so that the notes are more clustered and convenient to reach.

Even though I practice my scales and modes a lot, I don't use them in transcribing. I always notice after the fact if a song stays in a pattern, like the minor scale or the pentatonic minor scale. However, I never use the pattern at the onset.

maybe this tutorial is useful but I am not sure actually:http://www.videoconverterfactory.com...n-youtube.html well, hope it works

Follow all the above advice first.
    If everything else fails:

if a song has words and you can sing fairly well trying singing it slowly into an app that is used for tuning your instrument. You should be able to coax out key notes important to your melody. Obvs if you can't sing in the right key this won't work. If you have missing notes that make no sense, just keep trying different ones until it sounds right. I have not tried this on instrumental pieces but it could work.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

not a Ukulele but the tenor guitar DGBE is called (Mange).

Thread Information