Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where to Retire to?

I'm not sure how it works for non-citizens, but Japan does have seikatsu hogo. And medical care can be a lot more affordable than in the U.S.

(Now I'm getting ideas for my future... Although I'll always look like a gaijin, I was once fluent in both the spoken and written language and know that it would come back if I used it...)

Any thoughts on Okinawa?

We’re already retired and too old for another move, so I guess we’re stuck here—ahhh, well . . .
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you’ll be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnko Honu View Post
    East side of Big Island has relatively cheap land about $20,000 for a rural 3 acre plot but this is way out in the boonies with unpaved roads, no electricity, nor water, with meth labs and pakalōlō farmers for neighbors not to mention the VOG and acid rain that results from it. Burglary, and uncaring law enforcement issues too. Terrible reputation medical facilities too which is not confidence inspiring for retired seniors needing any medical attention. Retirement in Hawaiʻi is for the wealthy not for anyone with my limited retirement finances. Living off the grid and off the land had great appeal to me as a young man, not so much now with the big 6-0 just around the corner, and chronic health issues to deal with.
    Oh my! I wonder where you're getting your info from?

I've been in your boat before. I moved from Sonoma County, Ca, to Moloka'i in the 80's and spent 10 great years there. (Very expensive and inconvenient to live there. But lovely people and environment.) Then we had to move to Florida to put kids through high school and take care of aging parents and wound up spending 10 years there. We've live on both the Gulf and East shores. I liked Florida OK, mainly for the beaches and the bargain in cost of living. As was mentioned earlier, there is no state income or sales tax in Fl. Groceries and gas are ridiculously cheap compared with Hawaii. My wife hated it though. The people were......well, let's just say the Aloha Spirit is sorely lacking on much of the mainland. Having lived in Hawaii as along as you have you know what Aloha it's just that quality that kept calling us back.

Luckily we discovered the Big island where we have now been for the past 13 years. Puna is the fastest growing and least expensive district in the state (but that's changing fast.) Much of that growth is due to people from Oahu being forced out and resettling on BI. The rest is from retirees from the West coast. Now if you're a city boy this may not be for you. It may mean living with water catchment and even solar power if you wish and these things do require a little attention. In fact we are 100% off-grid and solar powered and we see that as a benefit. We live on a 2 acre piece of jungle, just a few minutes walk to the coast. The housing cost was comparable to what we had in Florida at the time. What you described about crime is what I think of when I think of the Mainland or even Oahu. You are correct that medical facilities lack here, often requiring the patient to fly to Oahu (covered by insurance) and if you need frequent medical care then Florida is the place for you. Everything else here is expensive, (perhaps a bit cheaper than on Oahu) but if you're clever you can get by on very little. Your budget would allow you to buy a modest home here. This will likely change in the next few years as property values are ever increasing (17% just last year.) And BTW, you get more vog on Oahu than we get here. Being on the east side of the island, away from prevailing winds, we are in a vog shadow. (Kona side gets all the vog.)
    I'd say if you are looking for convenience and affordability then Florida would be a good choice. I'd definitely stick to the coasts as opposed to the interior for reasons I want get into here. There is an abundance of water though anywhere throughout the state. I prefer the central east coast (south is too crowded and the north is too cold) or anywhere along the gulf. Hurricanes are an issue. I'd buy a concrete block or brick house. If I had chronic health issues that couldn't be addressed here I'd be in Florida. Maybe.
    OTOH, If you love nature, are not fond of crowds and rush hours and want to experience Hawaii as it used to be then BI might be your best bet. We're here for the Aloha and the culture and you can't put a price on that. We could never live anywhere else.

Good luck on your quest!
    Last edited by Moore Bettah Ukuleles; 02-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    We would like to move away from California. There’s lots of good things here, but lots of bad stuff too. There are too, too many people here. Everything is crowded and the traffic is horrible.

We were gonna move to Idaho near an Air Force base, but decided that we’d hate the cold. We like Utah. We’ve driven thru it many times, and it seems like a nice place. And I was stationed in San Antonio, Texas twice and went to a school in San Angelo. We like the New Braunfels and Fredericksburg area, but the tornadoes are somethin’ to think about. I guess none of these places have a lot of water though.

Anyway, the thought of moving again gives me the shivers—all that packing—Ugh! Easier to like where you are!
    Utah is a pretty amazing place to live - definitely cheaper than California, but not as cheap as the midwest. Some fun Utah facts:

- A high percentage of Utah's population lives in cities (90% in the 2010 census - only seven other states are higher)
    - 80% of the population lives in about a 160 mile long by 40 mile deep stretch along the Wasatch Front.
    - The public school system spends amoung the least per student in the nation, but if you look at the contribution per taxpayer, Utah is about midway among the states
    - Utah has the lowest average age of any state (by about 3 years)

Plus, the health care situation is pretty good and Utah is usually listed as one of the best governed states.
    Blackbird Clara
    Concert Flea
    Pono MB
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke (concert)
    Gold Tone Resouke
    Hadean Uke-Bass
    Gold Tone Microbass
    Deering Goodtime Special (5-string banjo)

Buckle Up
    http://ut.zerofatalities.com/

There are a lot of American ex-pats in Costa Rica. Dollar stretches, lots of English spoken, good medical infrastructure. We are in the Midwest, fleeing to the Arizona sun.
    Last edited by PereBourik; 02-19-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Dig Infinity!

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    Oh my! I wonder where you're getting your info from?
    I live here, local boy who has lived on Big Island, Oahu, Maui, with plenty friends and family on Kaua'i, Moloka'i, and Lana'i. My observations are based on my own experience and research as well as input from friends and family. I am not sure what points you are disputing that I have made. I stand by every point I have made. I lived in Kona in the early 80s and being a waterman who grew up surfing, diving, and fishing Kona was paradise back then even compared to windward Oahu where I was raised. The water conditions on west side of Big Island are second to none. Then Kilauea started erupting again and has not stopped since. Kona does get the brunt of the vog on tradewinds days but on Kona wind days the east side is just as bad, been there, experienced the vog and the resulting acid rain poisoning the catchment water. I won't talk about mold and mildew. Crime is high, meth use high, law enforcement lax. Big Island medical facilities the worst in the state. I have a ton of friends and family living there, and as a young man it was my dream too. One of my friends just retired there, and he's trying to talk me into it. I get tempted since I love to fish and hunt but my wife's sensitivity to the environment there is the main deterrent.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

I ʻike lākou, ʻo ʻoe, ka mea wale nō nona ka inoa ʻo IĒHOVA;
    ʻO ʻoe nō ka Mea kiʻekiʻe loa ma luna o ka honua a pau.
    Nā Halelū 83:18

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnko Honu View Post
    I live here, local boy who has lived on Big Island, Oahu, Maui, with plenty friends and family on Kaua'i, Moloka'i, and Lana'i. My observations are based on my own experience and research as well as input from friends and family. I am not sure what points you are disputing that I have made. I stand by every point I have made. I lived in Kona in the early 80s and being a waterman who grew up surfing, diving, and fishing Kona was paradise back then even compared to windward Oahu where I was raised. The water conditions on west side of Big Island are second to none. Then Kilauea started erupting again and has not stopped since. Kona does get the brunt of the vog on tradewinds days but on Kona wind days the east side is just as bad, been there, experienced the vog and the resulting acid rain poisoning the catchment water. I won't talk about mold and mildew. Crime is high, meth use high, law enforcement lax. Big Island medical facilities the worst in the state. I have a ton of friends and family living there, and as a young man it was my dream too. One of my friends just retired there, and he's trying to talk me into it. I get tempted since I love to fish and hunt but my wife's sensitivity to the environment there is the main deterrent.
    Gee, and here I thought I was living in Paradise.
    Stop over for a visit the next time you're here and I'll show you around. Good luck.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thread Information