Who Loves Their BugsEar?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I have always loved the outdoors especially the ocean, love to fish, dive, swim, paddle canoe, etc. etc .etc. I needed a ʻukulele that was rugged, waterproof, and affordable. I bought a Fluke which was very rugged, and sounded way better than it should but one downpour convinced me I did not want to risk warping the laminate soundboard. Wish they made one with a carbon fiber soundboard. I kind of gave up looking for several year. Than about a year ago I saw the BugsEar Aqualele. The reviews were generally positive so I took the dive and picked up a Aqualele in my favorite color purple on Ebay. I have had it for a year keeping it in my truck ready for any impromptu beach or mountain play. Itʻs no Kamaka but it still sounds very decent for what it is a $35 plastic ʻukulele. I finally found a indestructable waterproof ʻukulele that meets my needs, and can stand in as a emergency canoe paddle.
Anyone else here own a BugsEar Aqualele? Love, hate, indifferent?

Mahalo for your input.

71GlsvRzaFL._SX770_.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have one yet, but I just got a promotion at work so I'm thinking about buying both one of these as well as an Outdoor Soprano. For...research...

My first uke was a wooden bugsgear and it was appalling. It was to be fair sold as B stock which I naively took to mean cosmetic or ex display issues ... I think I kept it about a fortnight. I hear their newer models have improved though, which would be nice as its an attractive design ...

I have one bought on clearance for about £15, and I'm happy enough with it. It generally gets thrown in the car for long trips. The sound is fine but mine seems to have an issue with low action. Quiet fingerpicking and very quiet strumming are ok, but anything louder and I can hear the strings hitting the fretboard which I don't enjoy, this could well be an individual issue.

Overall though it's a fun cheap ukulele, that I'm happy to bash about a bit.

Actually I regret selling it slightly as perhaps an improvement in playing skills would have allowed me to use it, and it was a super fun colour and size for being out and about. Oh well. Went to someone's granddaughter, hopefully she enjoyed it.

WOW 4 out of 5 responders are from the UK. Are these Aqualele more popular in the UK? Mahalo for all the responses. On mine the action height seems to be fine though when I first got it I was a tad annoyed at the build quality there being uneven gaps in the seam between the top and sides. But then I remembered... it's a $35.00 Chinese made plastic 'ukulele so stop expecting perfection.

But then I remembered... it's a $35.00 Chinese made plastic 'ukulele so stop expecting perfection.
This all day - I just bought one on Amazon, and if I don't find it worthwhile when it arrives, I know that I've spent $35 on much more fickle things than an instrument I might use often if I like. If it's a bust my niece and nephew get another ukulele to toy around with until they get proper ones!

I just discovered that they make a concert version, too. It has a cutaway, slotted headstock, and side port. Also, the saddle is removable, in case the action is high.

I also discovered that Eddy Finn has rebranded both the soprano (beach comber) and concert (beach master) version, for similar prices as the Bugsgear.

Just got mine yesterday. After a night of trying it out I can say I'm happy to have spent the money I did on it. Sound is alright, but it's a thick plastic ukulele, what do you expect?! Jaja. Intonation and string height actually pretty good, and I'm not getting any buzz.

On a different note, this is my first soprano and I usually play Tenor, so it's quite a surprise for my fingers working the frets. I have a sopranino so had a bit of an idea, but I think it will take a second getting used to the spacing. All in all fun times!

Top Bottom