Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enya Pineapple Volume and Sound?

Default Enya Pineapple Volume and Sound?

The Enya X1 pineapple is at a very good price currently and I'm thinking of springing for it, but I'm wondering if anyone who has one can compare the volume and overall sound to something like a Dolphin or Kala KA-S. I've got an Enya bari and tenor and like them, but the tenor especially is noticeably quieter than other tenors I've had. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but I hear pineapples in general have more volume than sopranos, so I'm wondering if the shape helps make up for the lack of volume inherent in the HPL Enyas.

It is going to be softer than the Kala/Makala sopranos. Ariel McCleary has been using one in her latest videos on YouTube. The Enya will be a far better quality instrument than the beginning Kala models, and it has a radius fretboard.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I have an Enya X1 round body. It isn't very loud but this was somewhat improved with new strings, Living Waters in my case. So it would be fine playing at uke club but I would use something else if we had a gig.

It was only £20 and the new strings were £8. Reminds me of the old joke: how do you double the value of your Lada (cheap Russian car)? Fill it up with petrol.

But an Enya X1 is much better quality than an old Lada.
    Last edited by Oldtoolie; 02-03-2018 at 01:50 AM.

I own an Enya X1 round body, pineapple and a concert. The pineapple is much louder than the round body and very close to the concert and it is more resonant. The pineapple is not a "loud" instrument but it is not quiet either, nice volume like an average wooden figure 8 shaped soprano would produce.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

My Enya pineapple is a great strumming uke but quiet for finger picking
    Itís quiet but still has a decent volume.
    You will not be disappointed especially at that price range.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I bought the original round Enya and it is desperately quiet. I assumed that the issue was due to the bridge being placed so far down the body and off the sweet spot. I think that is only partly true, as I also played their regular double bout soprano. Whilst that is louder than the round one, it's still overly quiet. I assume the pineapple will be similar.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I think the issue with the Enya X1 HPL ukes is the HPL rather than body shape or bridge placement. My X1 tenor measures 10 db less in volume for the A string compared to the C. It seems the HPL just sucks up the high notes. It doesn't make it sound "bad", just quiet.

Pulled the trigger on the round today. The quiet nature of the piece is what I want to be able to practice while in environments where you don't want to be loud. Will likely swap out the strings right away but we will see.
    Nice to have a travel unit that I don't have to be too worried about over my Kamoa pineapple.

I recently strung my Enya X1 pineapple up with Aquila Reds. It improved the volume quite a bit and the brightness. It is just about as loud as my Kala spruce top super soprano which is a loud uke.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 02-16-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uke Don View Post
    I think the issue with the Enya X1 HPL ukes is the HPL rather than body shape or bridge placement. My X1 tenor measures 10 db less in volume for the A string compared to the C. It seems the HPL just sucks up the high notes. It doesn't make it sound "bad", just quiet.
    I can only assume you are right, but it still confuses me. I measured the thickness of the HPL to that on the Martin 0X series and it's identical - looks similar inside too and they don't look over braced either. Must be the type of HPL.

Other HPL instruments I have played (like the Martin) have had great volume - ie the Bonanza ukes from the US
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thread Information