Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele size buying advice

Yeah, before you buy a new one, take the Lanikai in for a setup and new strings. The resulting sound and playability may give you more info in your search for just the right uke.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

As to friction tuners, you can tighten the screws on them to make them hold better, but then they are difficult to turn. I don't like them.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I usually recommend a concert scale for newbies, & I still do, but in your case, you have basically found out what you like.

I spent most of my first year on a Kala KA-SLNG long neck mahogany laminate uke, it was perfect for me starting out, & I still have & use it 2 years later.

But if you want to spend more money, my best uke is a long neck concert solid acacia Opio, & they do a lovely soprano long neck.

If you want to hear how it sounds, there are videos of it on the internet, as well as one of our members' video, available in another thread.

P.S. You can put a low G on a long neck, no problem, to increases your finger picking opportunities.
    Thanks. I was wondering about low G as well. I'm shopping for a soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    As to friction tuners, you can tighten the screws on them to make them hold better, but then they are difficult to turn. I don't like them.
    I don’t use friction tuners (I don’t play the quality of instrument that might have them) but do appreciate the problem. An acquaintance had to give up playing a nice Soprano of theirs because their arthritic fingers couldn’t manage the buttons.

As a tool to help I’ve wondered what might be about to help and came across this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIOLIN-PEG-...QAAOSwmrlU0cDR .
    It seems a bit on the expensive side to me but perhaps there are functionally similar but more affordable items available that might help. Worth a search?

You can buy peg winders for about 4.

Just had a quick look online & found this one, 1.99.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adagio-Guit.../dp/B001O4KFHO

Here's a selection of what is available.
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ents/486419011
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    You can buy peg winders for about 4.

Just had a quick look online & found this one, 1.99.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adagio-Guit.../dp/B001O4KFHO

Here's a selection of what is available.
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ents/486419011
    I had wondered about those but decided that they might too readily put too much tension on the strings.

I searched a bit further and found this on another forum:

TV makes a fair point about people with arthritis or weak hands - for these the geared pegs sound useful. It is also possible (and cheaper) to make a simple accessory peg turner to help: get a piece of wooden dowel about 120mm x long by 15mm and cut a slot in one end big enough to fit over the head of the peg. You may need to taper the the end of the dowel to fit between the pegs. It helps, too, to wind a bit of gaffer tape round the end to close of the sides of the slot, so that the peg turner can't slip off the peg. (Response # 19, https://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.ph...c=60262&page=2 )

I guess a bit of semi flattened pipe could work in a similar way ........ providing it actually works there’s nothing quite so pleasing as a low cost solution.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 02-10-2018 at 07:35 AM.

After much thought, I have decided to go with a Koaloha KCM-00. This will be the only ukulele I will buy for at least a year or two, so I figured I'd splurge on a high end one. Bought it from the Ukulele Site and am anxiously awaiting It! It would cost me over $100 to get the LU-21C setup around here, and that is considerably more than what it cost for the uke itself, so didn't really want to do that.

A couple questions, though:

1. I did not opt to have the friction tuners upgraded to the Gotoh UPT tuners. Is that a mistake? Seeing so many bad things about friction tuners is making me wonder if I should email them and pay to upgrade the tuners after all. Or should the Koaloha friction tuners be sufficient?

2. I did not request a low G, but am wondering if I should ask for it prior to them setting it up and shipping it. I do plan on doing a lot of fingerpicking, is a low G recommended for that? Would give more notes to work with. How is low G for strumming and for chord melody arrangements? I am tempted to go for it, but want to make sure it will work for all styles of playing. Is changing it as simple as changing out the string? Or is it kind of one or the other?

Thanks for the input.

Hey Shroomshade, congratulations to your purchase! I think you made a great decision. With a KoAloha, you won't have to upgrade ever (unless you want to experience different sizes and tonewoods).

As for the friction tuners, there are many who like them and who will tell you that they work just fine. With some fiddling, you will probably be able to achieve satisfying intonation. Personally, I would never want an instrument with friction tuners again, when I have better stability and accuracy with Gotoh or other geared tuners. But as indicated, many folks will dissagree. After all, friction tuners are the most traditional ones.

Similar points can be made in the reentrant vs. linear debate: High G is more traditional, but as you mentioned, you'll have a wider range with a low G. I prefer the latter, especially for fingerpicking. What I would do is keep the instrument reentrant to see how it works for you, but order a low G string along with it (Fremont Soloist, Thomastik Infeld, or a linear set from Worth, if you prefer all non-wound strings). In my exprience, the setup will work for both settings. The only thing you might have to do is widen the nut slot a bit if the string you are using is notably fatter.

Good luck with your endeavour!

Good choice, re tuners, some like them, but most seem to change them, I have some on one of my ukes, & whilst it is a little bit awkward getting them into tune, because I'm used to geared, it's OK, & they hold well enough.

Low G - definately - nearly all my ukes are, as I prefer to pick melody lines.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    Poor quality friction pegs do that - good quality ones dont - good quality ones turn like butter when at tension. This is the sort of generalisation that puts people off friction pegs. It's just not true though.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thread Information