Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grain direction of bookmatched top/back

Quote Originally Posted by Jardin View Post
    I made a simple bench hook with a 1.8mm strip to hold my plate in place while thicknessing.
    A lot of times in woodworking, just holding the wood in place can be half the challenge. I would be interested in pictures and/or descriptions of your simple bench hook. Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_cb.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_cd.jpg

Here you go Sequoia.....Pretty simple but very effective....

A whole lot faster and easier than clamping....Unless you have vacuum clamping capabilities.....but that is above my paygrade.
    I have never had a problem with it and all I have to do is pick it up and rotate or flip depending on what my next move is. Notice that this only fits an oversized board of half a top or back, yet long enough to do sides as well. Nothing like simple & cheap.

I posted this on another thread. This is a cheap way that I used to make an effective vacuum clamp.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...06#post2031906

Mervin Friesen

Quote Originally Posted by Jardin View Post
    fullsizeoutput_cb.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_cd.jpg

Here you go Sequoia.....Pretty simple but very effective....

A whole lot faster and easier than clamping....Unless you have vacuum clamping capabilities.....but that is above my paygrade.
    I have never had a problem with it and all I have to do is pick it up and rotate or flip depending on what my next move is. Notice that this only fits an oversized board of half a top or back, yet long enough to do sides as well. Nothing like simple & cheap.
    Thanks for the pic. Yes, that is the way to go. Maybe the only way to go... Here we just call them cleats. Also a little piece of double sided sticky tape under the plates helps hold everything in place. Holding things in place with your hand as you try to thickness with a plane just doesn't cut it. (Ha!)

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but learn to fit and set the blades cap iron very close to the edge of the blade. That really does help in reducing tearout - along with all the other advice, like SHARP!!! You may have to do some work on your cap iron dependent on what plane you have. There's probably some u-tube video that addresses the cap iron, it's fit and the use of it.
    As for that thicknessing back/side holder. You don't necessarily need to tape the sides or back down providing you plane across the grain - which you have to otherwise you are in danger of them bucking and cracking. Using a long plane helps because it's the front part of the plane that becomes the clamp.
    Last edited by Michael N.; 02-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Just as an alternative, I bet a vacuum cleaner could give enough negative to hold a plate.

Thread Information