Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost In Uke World.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I have a Kala KA-T, it's a good uke.

Ohana are good ukes too, & I don't think there will be much to choose between them.

(Whilst I do have some Ohana ukes, mine are solid mahogany.)
    Picture here...IMG-20180210-WA0000.jpgIMG-20180210-WA0001.jpgIMG-20180210-WA0002.jpg

That's how UAS starts, just by looking.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I would say buy the best Kala you can afford. I just played my friend’s cedar top kala slot head ukulele and it sounded great. Check out the sound sample on the ukulele site:
    https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...ss-finish.html
    Pre-UAS: “1 uku is all I need.” Early-on-set UAS: “1 of each size is necessary.” Chronic UAS: Constant trolling of ukulele marketplaces, increasing number of “necessary” ukuleles as collection grows. Full blown UAS: Coworkers believe you have a problem, individual considers divorce over parting with any ukuleles, individual seriously considers dipping into retirement account to see what those Moore Bettahs and Beau Hannams are all about.

I think KALA KA-T or KA-TG(gloss finish KA-T) is good enough in laminated ukes. I really like KA-TG. I see Ohana costs much than Kala. But I think the narrower body of ohana is more good looking. If you choose Ohana, I think 10 or 12 series are good enough for low price option. At the end, you could choose Asian brands too, like Anuenue, Nices, A'ama, Bright Sun, Kiwaya(and Famous, Luna, F). Maybe it will save some shipping cost.
    Soprano: Martin S-O, Lanikai CK-S
    Concert: Ko'Aloha KCM-00

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    That's how UAS starts, just by looking.
    I've been looking alot lately lolz.
    but for now i think ill just go with what the local vendor have instead of importing it.

Regards
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Note that most Ohanas lack side markers (the ones you can actually see all the time as you play), so if it's a toss-up, I'd go Kala for that reason alone. I have seen some tenor Ohana models with side dots, but most lack them. To check if there are side dots on a particular model, look to see if Mim has a listing on eBay for that model (just include "Mim" in the search string): she photographs the ukes from different angles, and usually the player's side of the neck can be seen in at least one of the photos. Also, ask your vendor directly, just to be sure—features like this can change without notice, and your vendor may have older stock.

My first uke was a Kala KA-B baritone; it's been a terrific little uke for the price, and I still use it as my bari "beater" in standard tuning—I'm quite happy with the tone. I'm sure the ones that Kala is making nowadays are even better. I have five other Kalas, and they're all great value. I say this not to imply that Ohanas aren't as good, but just as an endorsement of Kala quality.
    Thank you so much Ubulele,

I've checked with the vendor and the ohana has no side markers.
    I did not actually think of it untill you mention it.. thank you so much.

Regards
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    I would say buy the best Kala you can afford. I just played my friend’s cedar top kala slot head ukulele and it sounded great. Check out the sound sample on the ukulele site:
    https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...ss-finish.html
    Hello Martinlover,

Yeap i've been looking at that too but my local vendor don't carry that model.
    he only have the Kala KA-T in stock other then the Ohana brand. to be honest most of the shop here now only carry asian marketed uke which i'm worried of trying.
    And uke selection that are around this country is limited because demand is limited too.. most consumer will choose china made uke because its cheap.
    anyway that's said i'll have to work with what they have in hand.

Regards
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Sciatica View Post
    I think KALA KA-T or KA-TG(gloss finish KA-T) is good enough in laminated ukes. I really like KA-TG. I see Ohana costs much than Kala. But I think the narrower body of ohana is more good looking. If you choose Ohana, I think 10 or 12 series are good enough for low price option. At the end, you could choose Asian brands too, like Anuenue, Nices, A'ama, Bright Sun, Kiwaya(and Famous, Luna, F). Maybe it will save some shipping cost.
    Hello Sciatica,

Thank you for your opinion...
    Actually i have not much of model to choose at and most likely its either Kala KA-T or the Ohana KT-10,
    But reading all the opinion here i guess Kala is the all time favorite for most folks... i guess i'm gonna settle on the Kala KA-T..

Regards
    Jonathan

I think the Kala is a good choice.
    The side marker's are a none issue for me.
    It's no problem to dyi, if you're interested.
    I don't have experience with the Ohana, but I'm sure they are fine.
    I can say, for a fact, that we have loved every Kala we bought.
    Good luck.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    I think the Kala is a good choice.
    The side marker's are a none issue for me.
    It's no problem to dyi, if you're interested.
    I don't have experience with the Ohana, but I'm sure they are fine.
    I can say, for a fact, that we have loved every Kala we bought.
    Good luck.
    Hello Maki66.

Thank you for your input.
    Im planning on shipping in a kala KA-STG after much consideration... i guess this uke is the best choice so far.

Regards
    Jonathan

K21-KA-STG_001_2fa3e4be-0c17-4cc9-9477-c491bb3cdfa3_1280x1280.jpg

And this case.
    W07-RC20852B_20_20_20_001_1280x1280.jpg

Thread Information