It isn't the size of the dog in the fight it is the size of the fight in the dog.

plunker

Reaction score
We have no shortage of animals around here. In fact I think Noah might have been a better tag than Plunker. We took a Cock A Too from a family member when they lost their house. We try to keep the bird on the back porch because it gets loud. The other night it was screaming screaming. unusual at night so the wife checked it out. A large possum was on the cage going after the food. She ran it off. The other night it was back hunkered down under the cage. Wife took the 85 pound hound out to the back porch figuring the possum would know the dog was there and not come back. He went back to bed. She took him out again, the possum hissed at him, he looked elsewhere for something to do on the porch. This is a big possum Probably 17/18 lbs. He should be he eats premium bird food. Anyway the 10 lb miniature doxy got wind of the commotion and ran to the back porch. Confronted the possum and chased it off the porch. The wife actually had to call it off for fear of one or both of the animals getting hurt. We now have a live trap out there, baited with, premium bird food. The hound and his bark I am sure is a deterrent to unwanted visitors (on two legs). But the doxy has all the moxy.

Holy cow, you're not the neighbor behind me, are you?

Seriously, you're probably not, as he strikes me as neither musical nor literate - but he has a barnyard full of critters back there, and the state and county are right...

:smileybounce:

bratsche

Maybe it's worth to bring the cockatoo inside and get a night-time cover for his/her cage?

Lots of people in NYC have birds and unless the owners impose darkness on the cage, the birds tend to freak out with all the city noises.

Bringing the bird inside will also prevent it from acting as bait for nocturnal predators.

Holy cow, you're not the neighbor behind me, are you?

Seriously, you're probably not, as he strikes me as neither musical nor literate - but he has a barnyard full of critters back there, and the state and county are right...

:smileybounce:

bratsche
We live in a rural area. Horses, goats, sheep, lamas are all OK. Critters are part of it. The ones we own and the ones that stop by for a meal. If the possum was not eating the expensive bird foo. He would be more welcome.

The possum has jut eaten the food. Raccoons have been known to reach through the cage and hurt them to the point that they don't survive. Funny, the cockatoo got my finger a number of weeks ago. Still healing. Could only strum for a while.
Thought he would defend his food with the same vigor, guess I was wrong. I think I have a uke for every critter* the wife has. Stings cost a lot less than food for them all. Might need to follow up the bring it in suggestion. We do that when it gets "cold" (Cold being south Florida ese for mid 60's).
* dogs, cats, birds, donkeys.

Dachshunds were breed to hunt badgers in their burrows so a opossum is a walk in the park in comparison, their fierce demeanor belie their diminutive size. Our Dachshund "Bagel" was the best watchdog we ever had.

Yes the doxie is aggressive. The hound is passive. Had a pair of Jack Russels. Talk about aggressive. The little land piranhas would put elephants in danger if they were larger.

Top Bottom