Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

So this theme was the perfect excuse to break out my slide and try a song I've been dying to try with it. Learnt the riff this morning and went for a quick one take this afternoon before the football started.

Nathan decided he wanted to join in and I realised I hadn't actually sung it while playing it before so that quick one take was out the window. Instead Nathan and I had a jam with our ukes both tuned to open A. Nathan reached an important musical milestone at the end of the video too. Gave me chance to get more of a feel for the slide as well.

Last edited by RAB11; 02-11-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

OK, this is one that I did for an earlier Season, but I don't understand why it fit in. I kind of like the way it came out, it's in open tuning, and so it meets that condition.

But there is another reason I wanted to post this one. It features me playing a Seagull, which is kind of a dulcimer/uke combination. I would have never known about this instrument if I had not met Berni (barablanca) in person and played with him. Learning about the instrument was great, and I snatched one up when I saw it for sale used here on UU. But much more important are the friends that I have made through UU.

There are quite a few, all over the world, and I count them among my favorite companions. And that, my fellow ukers, is something that we should really celebrate on this auspicious Season - the great people who frequent this place.

I regularly think that I am one lucky guy - not only have I found an instrument that I truly love to play, but have been able to have a whole circle of wonderful people to interact with about it too. Viva Seasons! And especially Viva Seasonistas!

So you see this is what happens when I get a late night idea. It works fine in my head.
    So glad I went to bed when I did. So many others smarter than I to explain open tuning. I admit I am new to open tuning too but, we have players here that understand theory and are good teachers!

Some of you did just what I was hoping and interpreted "Songs in the Key of G" to mean any type song or blues songs in G. Either way its good with me.

After seven years (if you've been around that long) we should try something new. Something we wouldn't normally try. That's why the open tuning hair-brained idea. Learn just how versatile your little uke is. One finger chords in open tuning. It just doesn't get any easier than that! If you've never tried playing up the neck here is another reason to try open tuning. This gives you the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone.
    I could have stuck with G tuning for both the standard uke and the bari as Geoff explains but vocally that doesn't always work so I opened the idea in a different way to accommodate you (I realize that might have caused even more confusion). Then there are those that have to do a little studying to figure it all out. Sometimes the seasons are meant to be a challange

Do you have to be drunk to play open tuning? No, just open-minded!

I like what Greenie44 said about the friendships here. Lots of friendships are made here each week.

So this week have fun learning something new, trying something new and making new friends.

Because I jumped in last minute I will listen when I have the time!
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    The open tuning is not compulsary - just if you want to give it a went....
    I went........ Watch this space, there might be something by the end of the week.
    I get the feeling it could be useful for a bit of noodling when I am wondering what to play when busking. Ten minutes of sliding about might attract some attention (and ££s).
    --
    www.robineshaw.wordpress.com - the website for my musical antics

Put your pin in the seasonista map at http://tinyurl.com/qb7zk8z

Caramel zebrawood acoustic sopranino
    Kala KA-SEME
    CBSKY Pro music series plastic uke

SPOTSIOMPIT

This oneís for the Wire fansóthe show used a different version of this Tom Waits song as itís theme music each season (my favorite is Season 2, as itís Tomís original version. This is my baritone, in open E.

Thanks so much for stepping in Linda! Here's one that's always grabbed me off David Allan Coe's debut album in 1969, which was a straight ahead blues album, "Penitentiary blues". I don't mess with alternate tunings hardly at all, so you gave me a real challenge there, and this song is a big challenge to attempt anyhow. I'm in open E here. I could have maybe gotten a better take, but it isn't a song you can do many takes of in a row without straining my voice a bit, so I kept this one.

I've edited the OP for less confusion.
    I'll check back in soon to add a playlist and catch up.
    Keep'em coming
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Here's a Jimmy C Newman song from the late 50's I've been wanting to try for awhile now. I hope it's allowed for this week by our super trooper of a host. It's not full on blues, but it is blusey. Also for full disclosure, I am playing in G ukulele shapes here, but I'm actually in A. My sopranino is my one uke I use a different tuning on, because I think it sounds too pinky when I use the standard tuning on it. This song was harder to try and pull off than I had anticipated.

Great theme Linda....I feel like you should have a “blues name” after your ace slide blues last week. Howlin’ Linda Louden or something similar . Like last week, and the week before etc, I might not be able to take part this week, but never say never ......

Bravo Linda for coming to Fred''s rescue on such short notice! The "cup of learning potential" for your theme overfloweth! I hope I can keep up with all the stuff that I'm sure everyone will bring to 313.
    Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks . . .
    =======================================
    ddanner SOTU VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...wjRMd7fqE9vEv2
    ddanner ORIGINAL SONGS: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...h4b1ScxqSX_UGP

Thread Information