Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

Hi, Linda! The Midnight Recording Studios in Southwest France brings you a song in G. (After all that brave talk about open tuning and bottlenecks, this has absolutely nothing to do with the Blues - I couldn't find the right-shaped lightbulb - but the title is sort of appropriate in that a "Show" is what we put on for one another every week.)

Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

I tuned my trusty old low-G tenor to open G and started playing around with what I consider "normal" chord shapes, and eventually got this. I tried to do a side-by-side video, but it's not working again. Sometimes the last windows update messes it up, and sometimes it fixes it. So I just mixed the audio with one video.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Here's a Jim Lauderdale blues song I wanted to try. This was a challenge for me to attempt in open F minor.

Been on this kick where I have been trying to learn all of “London Calling” by The Clash because the world needs a one man ukulele Clash cover band (desperately), so here is Hateful (track four).
    I learned that the key of G is the most played key fornsongs played on Spotify, because it is accessible on both guitar and piano. Mike Pence says the earth is flat and there is no key of G, but there is, and it gets played. The data confirms it.
    Fun season- thanks for taking the reigns Linda

Default SOTU 313(1) Nashville Blues: normal

For my first entry, here's a a) blues song; 2) in G. I've played this for a previous season in C, I think. Doc Watson did the definitive version, and Sam Bush opens some shows with it.

Martin C1K KoAlana KCA-010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano <yay!!> Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone Kala KA-EBY-S ebony soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Default SOTU 313(2): Nashville Blues, weird version

OK, for second entry, here's the same song, played open G tuning, on my bari. Bonus points for hitting the trifecta? IDK if this is the first time I've done a season entry on the bari (short-term memory loss), but this is fun. And challenging. I practiced this in a much more complicated fashion that I may put on the island, cuz I'll screw it up.

Martin C1K KoAlana KCA-010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano <yay!!> Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone Kala KA-EBY-S ebony soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Default 313-3-Sam Cooke blues

I'd swear I posted this but can't find it in the thread so maybe I didn't hit the submit button. weird....

An original, played on a bari open-tuned to G. I learned that my open-tune playing skills are not strong! Great challenge/opportunity!

Randy - Harry122

Thanks for tonight gang. I thought this season had died already. We had some terrific entries tonight and some great stuff this morning. Another 18 vids for Monday.

Many of you tried your finger at open tuning and found it a little challenging. I have to say this is a great way to realize the alternatives to this little uke. We had some real fine originals come in today and some brilliant creative playing that would have even the pros in awe.

Thanks for another great day!
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Thread Information