SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

If you want inspiration for playing the blues just listen to
Episode 34 or Rainbow Quest and you will also get a history
lesson. Brownie does an extended version of Key to the Highway
a 8 bar blues. Consummate musicianship.

No new entries today? Hmm. Must amend that. Here's some blues from Bob Dylan. I'm playing it in G rather than A, which is what I normally play blues in, because I couldn't get that riff to work right in A. The original is in E if I remember right. Or at least that's what I used to play it in on guitar.

Overall I think it's the best I've ever played a blues song, apart from the second solo where I got a bit lost as I don't normally solo in G.

Linda's seasons always seem to inspire that little extra in my playing.

Seven Year Ache

Topical song in the key of G :)

Open G- GBDG
:bowdown:

i didn't know i could tune a non-bari uke to open g, so thank you thank you thank you!

the uke i have tuned this way (well, half a step down actually, so open g flat really) is a new one i got last week, and which just happens to be blue, so yay! yes, i did indeed covet ryan's new clearwater electric tenor, and go looking on ebay, and found you can get one that looks like a microscopic telecaster, so i did, as resistance by that point was futile!

some t rex (no, really)

"organ blues"

on ukulele :uhoh:

actually this is a duet for ukulele and passing police car siren o_O

Aloha Friends, Here is an original song I wrote about a year ago, done in OPEN D tuning. Thank you Linda for suggesting this great theme. This song is called "Skeletons In My Closet" which was written and inspired when I happened to unexpectedly run into a guy I dated more than 30 years ago! Thanks so much for listening. Kale'a/Laura

My next song neither uses open tunings nor is it a typical blues progression. But it's in the key of G and I tried to get a little blues-feeling rhythm-wise, by playing a shuffle instead of straight eighths.

Another terrific night of music form you all. I have been so impressed by you people! More blue ukes, more fabulous originals and more wonderfully creative songs in the key of G.

Did you know that in the 1920 open D tuning was popular for the soprano to get a sweeter tone and tighter feel. Here are some vintage chord charts for it in key families https://fanguitarandukulele.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/ukulele-d-tuning-and-chord-chart-scans/
Key of G sounds very sweet after tuning up my flea.

Ever heard of Slack Key Tuning? Its is another name for open C tuning. I have been so impressed with you people that have gotten past the one finger chording and have been using actual chord fingerings. Here are charts for both standard and baritone ukes https://jonthysell.com/2013/06/20/f...chord-charts-and-diagrams-gceg-baritone-dgbd/

Now, starting tomorrow, since its Valentines Day here in the states, and because opposites attract, you can bring me a bonus “happy” song any time, any key, any style. I will open a bonus playlist for this.

For 7 Years of the little wooden plinky thingy I have tuned to ADF#B. I think that this is perhaps the upper limit on standard strings for this Ohana Concert but, I think it makes it a bit more "barky and sparkly" though ! This isn't a blues, this is what came after the blues lol.......Rockabilly Rebel......Happy Song ....Cheers

Now, starting tomorrow, since its Valentines Day here in the states,
and because opposites attract, you can bring me a bonus “happy” song any time,
any key, any style. I will open a bonus playlist for this.

OK here is a semi original which I wrote today. It is in a repetitious Gm Eb D7. It is based on a song
by the vegetable police AKA Kent who is not quite with it. Check KENT out

Last edited:
I've never had a crack at SOTU before, but the open tuning subject lured me in. I will admit that I cheated slightly, by playing my Cordoba Mini M guitalele, instead of my 'ukulele.

Anyway, this short tune is Manuela Boy, played in a Hawaiian Slack Key style. It's Ozzie Kotani's arrangement, from his book Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style. My guitalele is tuned in Taropatch C, or Open C (G-C-G-C-E-G).

Woke up today and decided to write a song for the Season, spent a fair portion of the day (and night) working on it , as well as a visit to the Dental Clinic ..
It's the "Happy Ukeing Blues in G" ..

I have little data to use, so apologies I can't listen to many songs this season

Happy Ukeing :)

Last edited:
Here's some blues from Eddy Clearwater, who I saw live in my early 20's. Always loved this song of his. I had visions of doing a longer and better solo than what's on here, but I guess I lacked the ability to pull it off, and got frustrated with myself about it.

Top Bottom