Are those android application tuner accurate?

Jonathan80

Reaction score
Hello UU Folks,

I'm new in ukulele or any stringed instrument and im planning in shipping in a kala tenor soon.

Just wondering is those phone tuner accurate? There is a few in android phone application and im wondering about it before i purchase a snark tuner..

Thank you everyone for your time reading.

Regards
Jonathan

A phone based tuning app uses the mic in the phone to listen to the tuning, so if you're in a noisy place or other people around are also tuning, they have problems. A Snark and other clip on tuners use vibration through the body to tune, so external sounds don't affect them.

A phone based tuning app uses the mic in the phone to listen to the tuning, so if you're in a noisy place or other people around are also tuning, they have problems. A Snark and other clip on tuners use vibration through the body to tune, so external sounds don't affect them.

Hi Kohanmike,

Then i can first use the phone apps to tune my uke since ill be in my room alone all the time because i don't have any friends that play music instrument.
thank you on your opinion.

Regards
Jonathan

Yes absolutely. This one is my favourite (I paid for the ad-free version but worth trying the free version first).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cohortor.gstrings

I second what kohanmike says though, and I also have a Snark clip-on tuner which I can use in noisy environments.

Hello Jim,

Since i'll be playing alone i might as well first use the phone apps and plan on a snark tuner on later date... thank you for your opinion =)

Regards
Jonathan

Kala has their own free tuning app that works well. As far as accuracy, it is accurate enough for what you're going to use it for. I use it all the time at home. Most of my music is on my Kindle, and I have the app right there.

I have a clip on tuner for accuracy (as has been mentioned,
background noise can sway the tuning on an android mic
based one!) But I als have a free android one, called Da
Tuner,which is fine if used in quiet surroundings!

I have a clip on tuner for accuracy (as has been mentioned,
background noise can sway the tuning on an android mic
based one!) But I als have a free android one, called Da
Tuner,which is fine if used in quiet surroundings!

I have the Da Tuner Lite (free) app on my Android phone and it is the best tuning app period. It shows how many cents you are out of tune, dB levels, HZ and the octave you are tuning to, brilliant.

Simon is frustrated they don't make it for iPhones. You need a clip on tuner as well for when you are not in a quiet enviroment like everyone else pointed out

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on the smartphone model itself. I have on my Galaxy S8+ Smartchord. And it is very accurate. I also have a Snark Clip-on tuner. Both are accurate. The nice thing about the app is that they have 3 ways to tune your stringed instrument. A Tuner (you can choose between Low G and High G) with a Capo or not. It shows both Hz and Key with a bar graph showing flat and sharp range. High resolution and low resolution tuning range. There is a "string change" mode - no idea how that works.

Also a tone generator. And a "pitch pipe" which repeats a note repeatedly G,C,E, or A (mine is set to play a uke pluck - of course) so you don't have to keep tapping the phone to hear a note.

But, for me I like the app the most because it also has a tone generator that helps me tune down to 432Hz when I play.

Another vote for Da Tuner on Android. I have the paid version, but I believe both are similar. I like being able to set to the instrument I'm tuning, as well as the filter lock so it only listens for the note you're tuning to (helps filter out background noise).

I have compared it side by side with my Snark clip-on, and get similar results.

Last edited:
I'm using one just called "Ukelele Tuner." I play alone too and it seems to work just fine.

I have enya tuner,and recently bought snark..i compare them every time i tuned my ukes.i find kala tuner works great

I use "Tunable", which I have on both my Android phone and my iPad tablet. It also includes a metronome, which is the best I've found.The tuner is adjustable with some settings for sensitivity, etc. Here's the Android version. (I use a clip-on tuner more often, however; Tunable is just for string changes and I use the metronome portion always.)

I'm this morning back to DaTuner, because my clip-on tuner won't come to life. After a minutes pressing this Boss TU-01 works. While clip-on tuners are not as accurate, they are so handy, so I'll get a new one, now I just had to choose which one grrr.

Tuning fork isn't an option for me anymore lool.

Tuning fork isn't an option for me anymore lool.

I bought one just so I could learn how to tune with one! My progress has been slow because usually I just take the easy road of modern technology. :p

I bought one just so I could learn how to tune with one! My progress has been slow because usually I just take the easy road of modern technology. :p

I used to rely on one for maybe 20 years, i'm 60.

Ukulele is easy because A-string has also 440 Hz frequency. Search the best place to put the ball end on top of uke.

When the A string is done. Press G string second fret and E string 5th fret and C string at 4th. Maybe bend a little and listen the interference beat until nonexistent. Problem with fretted notes is they are usually some cents off when the open strings are exact. And as tuning is a compromise open strings also might be best tuned usually a bit below because of this.

Depends also how you play, mostly open chords or upper the neck.

I think the Android tuner is correct. Join us on WhatsApp GB for more support at Link

Last edited:
Jamo_S: "And as tuning is a compromise open strings also might be best tuned usually a bit below..."

I'm glad you noted this. It has been a bugaboo for me for well over a decade and has always been with the 2nd string whether it be guitar, ukulele (any size, any tuning...)

I tune all the strings spot on, then just the tiniest flat on the 2nd. I can hear it but the tuner doesn't see it. When the 2nd is right chords will "ring" out.

I used soundcorset Tuner & Metronome, the tuner is pretty accurate and enough for use.

Top Bottom