First build

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
I’m going to attempt to build my first uke, tenor size. I don’t want a cheap kit so I already purchased back and sides, top and a fretboard. I’m not experienced enough or ready to do carving so I need suggestions or information on where to purchase good quality premade parts like a neck, bracing, kerfling etc...I’m willing to pay for higher quality. I don’t want to buy junk. Any help would be appreciated. I’d love to find a high quality premade pre drilled slotted headstock in particular.

"First build" suggests there will be more, so I would recommend making your own neck, it's the only way to learn. Might seem daunting at first, but it's not that difficult. Just do lots of research online and watch the many Youtube videos out there, and don't forget to search for guitar building as well, as the processes are pretty much the same. A good place to start is the "Birth of a Mya Moe" series of videos on YT, there are about 100 short videos covering every aspect of their building process. You may not have the tools that they have but at least it will give you a good understanding of what's required. Good luck.

Definitely agree with Mikeyb2.. have a go at carving your own neck and parts.. its all part of the process of the build. If your doing this for fun or a hobby, then why not? there is a massive amount of info on the Tube. By all means purchase pre-made items, but don’t underestimate your ability to do things yourself with a little experimentation.
Pete Howlett’s dvd/download is a valuable resource of information for neck carving..
https://artisanmasterclass.co.uk/collections/pete-howletts-luthier-series

Have you looked at the Stew Mac kits? I know the back and sides are laminate and I believe you wanted to go all solid? Never mind, I just read that you already ordered the top, back, and sides.

I do agree with the others that there will be more satisfaction creating everything yourself, but you may be like me and want to get your 'feet wet' with the first build. I have been considering getting the Stew Mac kit for my first build.

I definitely think doing a kit for a first build is a good way to go. But count on not being really satisfied and planning the second build before the first one is even complete. Give away the first one to your mother-in-law or your neighbor and then get down to building a proper instrument. Contrary to previous posts, I find carving, radiousing and fitting necks a major challenge. There is a lot of satisfaction carving your own neck, but it is in the end an exercise in sculpture. In some ways I see carving the necks the one real "art" part of building an ukulele. If you have never done it, a very satisfying adventure. Just make sure the damn thing is square and flush.

Top Bottom