Martin Premium Ukulele strings

I just put a set of the new Martin Premium "Polygut" strings on my Kala Elite mahogany Soprano, and I really like them.
They do make a faint scratchy sound when your fingers rub on them, but the more I play on them the less scratchy they sound.
I would love them if they were more smooth feeling.

The local guitar shop put some of these on my Kamaka Tenor. I also really like them. I generally do not like Aquila strings on this instrument, but for some reason, these are really nice. Feel is good. Each note sounds like a bell. Weird. I was planning to take these off as soon as I got home, but I might keep them on a while. The gray color is a little different though. Guess I’m used to clear, or black.

I just put a set of the new Martin Premium "Polygut" strings on my Kala Elite mahogany Soprano, and I really like them.
They do make a faint scratchy sound when your fingers rub on them, but the more I play on them the less scratchy they sound.
I would love them if they were more smooth feeling.

I have recently tried the Martin Premium strings. I like them and would put them above many other strings I have tried. There is a bit of texture to them and a faint scratchiness in the sound, but it is not as prominent as some other strings and nowhere near the squeak some experienced with sugar strings. I don't really hear it except when doing some fingerpicking. So far, I don't find it a big problem. I'll see if I feel differently as time passes.

I like the feel of these strings. They have a nice flex, are not too stiff and feel good under my fingers. I find the sound to have a nice clarity and crispness, perhaps slightly fewer highs than fluorocarbon, with a little more mid range. To my ear that seems to give them a little more warmth and depth.

Sometimes fluorocarbon can seem a little edgy, thin or brittle sounding on some instruments, while some of the nylon based strings can seem a little dead. Some of the nylon or Aquila strings can feel a little thick under the fingers. On both counts I find these to be a nice middle ground. Intonation is good and they settled in very quickly. Initially they stretched a fair amount, but within a day I could play them with minimal tweaking.

While it is up to each player's taste and how it fits your instrument and style of playing, I would say that these are a great addition to the mass of strings out there and are well worth a try.

I have recently tried the Martin Premium strings. I like them and would put them above many other strings I have tried. There is a bit of texture to them and a faint scratchiness in the sound, but it is not as prominent as some other strings and nowhere near the squeak some experienced with sugar strings. I don't really hear it except when doing some fingerpicking. So far, I don't find it a big problem. I'll see if I feel differently as time passes.

I like the feel of these strings. They have a nice flex, are not too stiff and feel good under my fingers. I find the sound to have a nice clarity and crispness, perhaps slightly fewer highs than fluorocarbon, with a little more mid range. To my ear that seems to give them a little more warmth and depth.

Sometimes fluorocarbon can seem a little edgy, thin or brittle sounding on some instruments, while some of the nylon based strings can seem a little dead. Some of the nylon or Aquila strings can feel a little thick under the fingers. On both counts I find these to be a nice middle ground. Intonation is good and they settled in very quickly. Initially they stretched a fair amount, but within a day I could play them with minimal tweaking.

While it is up to each player's taste and how it fits your instrument and style of playing, I would say that these are a great addition to the mass of strings out there and are well worth a try.

Yeah, after playing on them for a little while now I like them even more.

How would you compare the martin's with the sugars sound wise, and feel/tension wise?
Tx

How would you compare the martin's with the sugars sound wise, and feel/tension wise?
Tx

I am relying a bit on memory, as I did not try those back to back. I would say that the sugars might be a little stiffer and the sound a bit brighter or more forward. I would not say it is a night and day difference. I would say these new strings seem a little warmer, Hope that helps.

IIRC Aquila had a series of strings called "Carbon Black" last year, and now they are nowhere to be found online at any vendors.

Maybe these "Carbon Black" strings are in fact simply re-branded as these new "Martin PolyGut" label.

From all descriptions here on UU about the texture and tone, it seems to me they are similar, if not in fact the same item.

Aquila has an arrangement with D'Addario for the strings D'Addario sells under the NylTech moniker, maybe this is a similar situation?

IIRC Aquila had a series of strings called "Carbon Black" last year, and now they are nowhere to be found online at any vendors.

Maybe these "Carbon Black" strings are in fact simply re-branded as these new "Martin PolyGut" label.

From all descriptions here on UU about the texture and tone, it seems to me they are similar, if not in fact the same item.

Aquila has an arrangement with D'Addario for the strings D'Addario sells under the NylTech moniker, maybe this is a similar situation?

So Nyltechs are actually made by Aquila? If so, Aquila seems like the Amazon of the string world!

I am relying a bit on memory, as I did not try those back to back. I would say that the sugars might be a little stiffer and the sound a bit brighter or more forward. I would not say it is a night and day difference. I would say these new strings seem a little warmer, Hope that helps.

Yes, that's my reaction, too. They're not quite as bright as the sugars. The Martins have a nice combination of warmth and "cleanness," if that makes any sense. I just put a set on my Famous. Very happy.

......The Martins have a nice combination of warmth and "cleanness," if that makes any sense.......

Yes, that was my feeling. It seems to be a nice balance of the two.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm liking the sugars with the TI C27 wound C on my Cordoba 24T

You are correct. From what I've read the Martin Premium strings are an updated carbon black via joint development between Aquila and Martin.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm liking the sugars with the TI C27 wound C on my Cordoba 24T

I tried the Martin Premium's on my Martin T1-k and liked them alright but moved on the the Aquila Sugar's and like those quite a bit. Jury is still out on whether I will go back to the regular Martin flouro's which I also love.

I’ve recently put them on a Martin soprano and first impression is they are wonderful - exactly the string I’ve been looking for. But hey, as ever it’s a very personal thing with strings. If they stay as they are or improve as they settle (which they’re already doing quicker than most) then I think I’ve found my perfect string for this uke.

I tried these on my ukulele, a Lanikai S-T, a solid spruce topped tenor. It came with the original version rough feeling Nylgut strings. I used Nylgut in the 5 years since then. I was satisfied until I started playing in a couple of uke groups and noticed my ukulele didn't sound as nice as others. Rather than succumbing to UAS I decided to try new strings first. Premiums have significantly improved the sound and playability of this not premium uke. They also feel slightly less stiff than Nylgut. My impression of the improved sound was confirmed when my sister played my uke shortly after the string change. She didn't know I had changed the strings, but knew right away that something had changed for the better. I could tell by the smile on her face even before she said anything.

The strings sounded weird right after installation. I was able to play them within a couple of hours without needing to retune for a song or 2, but they did sound weird for a day or so. After 2 days they sounded awesome. I don't have experience with strings in the fluorocarbon family that are recommended by many, so can't compare to them.

After using these strings for 4 months I recommend them highly as long as you give them a day or so before you perform in public or record. They are expensive but saved me from a $300 plus UAS attack.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/H4sDoi6pZQw

I used the Martin premium string on my Kamaka Ukulele , and recorded the above song

I feel the sound is warm and not traditional ukulele sound

The hand feeling is not smooth, a little texture

Indeed, that was truly beautiful playing. Thanks for sharing that. Skychi, I could hear some finger-squeak noise -- do you feel this is more or less than other strings you've used? These strings sure seem like they project very well.

Is it possible to get the arrangement you were playing? Thanks for the inspiration.

Indeed, that was truly beautiful playing. Thanks for sharing that. Skychi, I could hear some finger-squeak noise -- do you feel this is more or less than other strings you've used? These strings sure seem like they project very well.
Yes, I hear the noise in the beginning, because the strings have texture, not smooth

Top Bottom