Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Premium Ukulele strings

There seems to be a major shortage of reviews for these new Martin strings. They're popping up now at the online dealer's sites but I can't find anyone who's actually played them and wrote about it. Help me out...are they worth (pun intended) trying or save my $$? I'd probably use them on one of my tenors and mostly for fingerpicking/chord melody playing.
    Larry

• ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • KALA KA-SRT/MA SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD TENOR (LOW "G")
    • OSCAR SCHMIDT OU2 - LAMINATE MAHOGANY CONCERT (IN STORAGE FOR FUTURE DONATION)

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    There seems to be a major shortage of reviews for these new Martin strings. They're popping up now at the online dealer's sites but I can't find anyone who's actually played them and wrote about it. Help me out...are they worth (pun intended) trying or save my $$? I'd probably use them on one of my tenors and mostly for fingerpicking/chord melody playing.
    Strings are relatively inexpensive, so why not buy a set and try them out for yourself. Strings are also very subjective, it's better if you can try them on your own uke to see if you like them.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)
    Big Island BI-MO-TR-(All Spalted Mango)
    Compass Rose Style B Tenor-(All Claro Walnut)
    Boat Paddle ML style Tenor-(Red Spruce/Cocobolo)

Baritone Uke
    Pono MHBSSC-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Tenor Guitar
    Ibanez AVT1-N-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Is the price premium too?
    LOL, good one...

I've never considered Martin Ukes strings any good, when you consider all the competition, Worth, Aquila, D'Addario...
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    LOL, good one...

I've never considered Martin Ukes strings any good, when you consider all the competition, Worth, Aquila, D'Addario...
    Just goes to show how subjective this is. I consider Martins the old reliables. Very consistent, not too expensive. Fine, basic fluorocarbons, if that's the type of string you prefer.
    Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    LOL, good one...

I consider Martins to be my favorite strings, although I am running Aquila Sugar strings on my Outdoor Ukulele tenor right now. If you like fluorocarbon strings, Martin is a great place to start—inexpensive and available everywhere. Once you know you like fluorocarbon, you can investigate other fluorocarbon solutions. I also like the fluorocarbons that came with my KoAloha Opio Tenor, and I do have a set of Living Waters on my only Baritone ukulele. I’m not a string snob and I don’t swap strings searching for the “ideal” set for each instrument.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Yes true their fluorocarbon strings are inexpensive, but they don't sound as nice as Worth's or D'Addario's, at least to my ears they don't, also not as lively, responsive, a bit flat...
    Looking For My Next Uke!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

I just received a set of Martin M625 (Tenor) strings and also a set of Aquila Sugar (Low G) strings. I'm not thrilled with the Oasis low G set I have on my Kala tenor right now, so I'll be trying out the Sugars on that tonight. The Martins will have to wait until the Worth Browns on my Pono start to fade...and that might take a while!
    Larry

• ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • KALA KA-SRT/MA SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD TENOR (LOW "G")
    • OSCAR SCHMIDT OU2 - LAMINATE MAHOGANY CONCERT (IN STORAGE FOR FUTURE DONATION)

I'm a fan of the Martin flouros on my laminate cordoba. I have Worth Browns on my Pono taropatch right now and after they finally settled in, I like them pretty well but when I restring I'm putting Martins on. I just ordered a set of the Martin premiums as a backup to the Martin TK1 that is coming in this week. I suspect it will come strung with the Martin flouros.

Here are a couple of online reviews, sounds like tweaked Nylguts:

http://www.ukulelemag.com/gear-revie...remium-strings

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...ncert-ukulele/

I believe these are quite close to the Aquila Carbonblacks with some modifications that have addressed the past issues of breakage. I had a set of Carbonblacks that suffered from said breakage, but I replaced them with another set that was newer and am still playing them on a all solid acacia concert. I will definitely be trying these Martins soon.

I put a set on my 'value-priced' Makala concert, and noticed much more clarity than the Super Nylguts that came with it. I like them. I'm still mainly a fluorocarbon fan, but these suited the Makala well.
    Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information