Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Martin Premium Ukulele strings

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Is it possible to get the arrangement you were playing? Thanks for the inspiration.
    I have similar only, not exact

Quote Originally Posted by Skychi View Post
    I have similar only, not exact
    Similar is close enough for me.

BTW- I happened to notice that these have the same issue as some other Martin strings. The outside of the package is labeled correctly, but the labeling on the individual string envelopes is backwards.

I contacted the Martin folks and they tell me the mislabelling has been fixed. Customer support was very responsive to my comments.

Interesting that many here felt the Martin Premiums sounded warmer than their M600, while in the Peghead Nation review, he repeatedly said that the Premiums sound brighter. A very subjective topic, to be sure.

Martin Ukulele Strings and 2 Concert Ukulele
    https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...ncert-ukulele/
    John

Thought I should chime in as I have just installed the polyguts on my Martin S1 soprano. I had M600 before this, so this is like a back to back comparison. I think the polygut string is in fact very similar to M600 in terms of the sound and volume. It is just as bright but with a clean and chimey ring to it. The M600 is more of a flat bright and a jangle. I quite like the new sound and felt it’s an improvement from M600. YMMV though.

The texture does need some getting used to, I feel like rubbing on fine grit sandpaper whenever I slide. The strings are less flexible but the stretching settled in much quicker than M600. Like less than an hour.

I think I will keep them on for a few days and see if it could get better.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Anyone here have more recent experiences with these Martin premium strings? I basically agree with the above message. I put them on my Martin S1 as well and they sound very similar to the fluorocarbons. Maybe slightly warmer compared to the fluoros but still nice and jangly. For my ears they have a very nice balance between fluorocarbons and nylgut. On my S1, they also seemed to be more responsive and easier to play than the fluorocarbons, although that might be either because of the previous strings being old or the new ones having less tension, or both. Either way, they feel great...

... except for the texture, as also mentioned above. The packaging says "graphite gray polygut" and I can bloody believe it. They feel like someone has coated them with graphite from a pencil. Anyone here know whether the harsh texture lessens with time or are they stay like this? If it's the latter then I might have to go back to regular fluorocarbons.

They smooth out very quickly, with a few days or so of playing

Thread Information