Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martin Premium Ukulele strings

I just put a set of the new Martin Premium "Polygut" strings on my Kala Elite mahogany Soprano, and I really like them.
    They do make a faint scratchy sound when your fingers rub on them, but the more I play on them the less scratchy they sound.
    I would love them if they were more smooth feeling.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

The local guitar shop put some of these on my Kamaka Tenor. I also really like them. I generally do not like Aquila strings on this instrument, but for some reason, these are really nice. Feel is good. Each note sounds like a bell. Weird. I was planning to take these off as soon as I got home, but I might keep them on a while. The gray color is a little different though. Guess I’m used to clear, or black.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    I just put a set of the new Martin Premium "Polygut" strings on my Kala Elite mahogany Soprano, and I really like them.
    They do make a faint scratchy sound when your fingers rub on them, but the more I play on them the less scratchy they sound.
    I would love them if they were more smooth feeling.
    I have recently tried the Martin Premium strings. I like them and would put them above many other strings I have tried. There is a bit of texture to them and a faint scratchiness in the sound, but it is not as prominent as some other strings and nowhere near the squeak some experienced with sugar strings. I don't really hear it except when doing some fingerpicking. So far, I don't find it a big problem. I'll see if I feel differently as time passes.

I like the feel of these strings. They have a nice flex, are not too stiff and feel good under my fingers. I find the sound to have a nice clarity and crispness, perhaps slightly fewer highs than fluorocarbon, with a little more mid range. To my ear that seems to give them a little more warmth and depth.

Sometimes fluorocarbon can seem a little edgy, thin or brittle sounding on some instruments, while some of the nylon based strings can seem a little dead. Some of the nylon or Aquila strings can feel a little thick under the fingers. On both counts I find these to be a nice middle ground. Intonation is good and they settled in very quickly. Initially they stretched a fair amount, but within a day I could play them with minimal tweaking.

While it is up to each player's taste and how it fits your instrument and style of playing, I would say that these are a great addition to the mass of strings out there and are well worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I have recently tried the Martin Premium strings. I like them and would put them above many other strings I have tried. There is a bit of texture to them and a faint scratchiness in the sound, but it is not as prominent as some other strings and nowhere near the squeak some experienced with sugar strings. I don't really hear it except when doing some fingerpicking. So far, I don't find it a big problem. I'll see if I feel differently as time passes.

I like the feel of these strings. They have a nice flex, are not too stiff and feel good under my fingers. I find the sound to have a nice clarity and crispness, perhaps slightly fewer highs than fluorocarbon, with a little more mid range. To my ear that seems to give them a little more warmth and depth.

Sometimes fluorocarbon can seem a little edgy, thin or brittle sounding on some instruments, while some of the nylon based strings can seem a little dead. Some of the nylon or Aquila strings can feel a little thick under the fingers. On both counts I find these to be a nice middle ground. Intonation is good and they settled in very quickly. Initially they stretched a fair amount, but within a day I could play them with minimal tweaking.

While it is up to each player's taste and how it fits your instrument and style of playing, I would say that these are a great addition to the mass of strings out there and are well worth a try.
    Yeah, after playing on them for a little while now I like them even more.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

How would you compare the martin's with the sugars sound wise, and feel/tension wise?
    Tx

Quote Originally Posted by jkib View Post
    How would you compare the martin's with the sugars sound wise, and feel/tension wise?
    Tx
    I am relying a bit on memory, as I did not try those back to back. I would say that the sugars might be a little stiffer and the sound a bit brighter or more forward. I would not say it is a night and day difference. I would say these new strings seem a little warmer, Hope that helps.

IIRC Aquila had a series of strings called "Carbon Black" last year, and now they are nowhere to be found online at any vendors.

Maybe these "Carbon Black" strings are in fact simply re-branded as these new "Martin PolyGut" label.

From all descriptions here on UU about the texture and tone, it seems to me they are similar, if not in fact the same item.

Aquila has an arrangement with D'Addario for the strings D'Addario sells under the NylTech moniker, maybe this is a similar situation?
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    IIRC Aquila had a series of strings called "Carbon Black" last year, and now they are nowhere to be found online at any vendors.

Maybe these "Carbon Black" strings are in fact simply re-branded as these new "Martin PolyGut" label.

From all descriptions here on UU about the texture and tone, it seems to me they are similar, if not in fact the same item.

Aquila has an arrangement with D'Addario for the strings D'Addario sells under the NylTech moniker, maybe this is a similar situation?
    So Nyltechs are actually made by Aquila? If so, Aquila seems like the Amazon of the string world!
    John

I am relying a bit on memory, as I did not try those back to back. I would say that the sugars might be a little stiffer and the sound a bit brighter or more forward. I would not say it is a night and day difference. I would say these new strings seem a little warmer, Hope that helps.
    Yes, that's my reaction, too. They're not quite as bright as the sugars. The Martins have a nice combination of warmth and "cleanness," if that makes any sense. I just put a set on my Famous. Very happy.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    ......The Martins have a nice combination of warmth and "cleanness," if that makes any sense.......
    Yes, that was my feeling. It seems to be a nice balance of the two.

Thread Information