Martin Premium Ukulele strings

BTW- I happened to notice that these have the same issue as some other Martin strings. The outside of the package is labeled correctly, but the labeling on the individual string envelopes is backwards.

I contacted the Martin folks and they tell me the mislabelling has been fixed. Customer support was very responsive to my comments.

Thought I should chime in as I have just installed the polyguts on my Martin S1 soprano. I had M600 before this, so this is like a back to back comparison. I think the polygut string is in fact very similar to M600 in terms of the sound and volume. It is just as bright but with a clean and chimey ring to it. The M600 is more of a flat bright and a jangle. I quite like the new sound and felt it’s an improvement from M600. YMMV though.

The texture does need some getting used to, I feel like rubbing on fine grit sandpaper whenever I slide. The strings are less flexible but the stretching settled in much quicker than M600. Like less than an hour.

I think I will keep them on for a few days and see if it could get better.

Anyone here have more recent experiences with these Martin premium strings? I basically agree with the above message. I put them on my Martin S1 as well and they sound very similar to the fluorocarbons. Maybe slightly warmer compared to the fluoros but still nice and jangly. For my ears they have a very nice balance between fluorocarbons and nylgut. On my S1, they also seemed to be more responsive and easier to play than the fluorocarbons, although that might be either because of the previous strings being old or the new ones having less tension, or both. Either way, they feel great...

... except for the texture, as also mentioned above. The packaging says "graphite gray polygut" and I can bloody believe it. They feel like someone has coated them with graphite from a pencil. Anyone here know whether the harsh texture lessens with time or are they stay like this? If it's the latter then I might have to go back to regular fluorocarbons.

They do seem to have less tension for those who prefer that feel. They might be a good choice on a tenor. Often on a tenor tuned up to C the strings can feel high tension, which is one reason why some prefer lower Bb or B tuning on a tenor. This is a possible solution

Top Bottom