Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric solid body string help

Default Electric solid body string help

Hiya! I'm new to electric ukes, and just bought a vorson electric solid body tenor from zzounds. When I was buying it they suggested some D'Addario replacement strings, and I thought why not. Now I may be super tired and just don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure which string goes where. Sorry if this is a dumb question, haha. I got 1
    PL016, 2 PL011, and 1 PL009. Thanks for any help, and yell at me if you must.

OK, but they don't sound right to me, take a look here - http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...tring-question

These are what I would expect, size wise - https://www.southernukulelestore.co....tyle-ukuleles/
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

The intent of giving you one plain 16, two plain 11's and a plain 9 is for the reentrant G string to be an 11, the C is the 16, the E is the 2nd 11 and the A is the 9.

That's the intent. Whether that's what makes a good sound is a completely different question. Possibly not. If it were me I would be using heavier gauge strings than that.

Thanks y'all! Anthony was right, and it sounds decent.

An even EASIER solution to stringing the Vorson (or any similar-size steel string electric uke) is using the DGBE (4th-1st) strings out of an electric guitar set, and stringing it UP to GCEA on the electric ukulele.
    I generally pick a lighter set (usually a 009 or 010 set) out of preference.

Easy peasy - don't even have to remember individual string tensions or go shopping for individual strings. Just buy the entire guitar string set, and don't use the bass E-A strings.

Quite important to do a setup on the instrument though.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    An even EASIER solution to stringing the Vorson (or any similar-size steel string electric uke) is using the DGBE (4th-1st) strings out of an electric guitar set, and stringing it UP to GCEA on the electric ukulele.
    I generally pick a lighter set (usually a 009 or 010 set) out of preference.
    So basically just wind the D string tighter until it is in tune to high G?

GCEA means Low G.

I thought gCEA meant low g.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I thought gCEA meant low g.
    I think there will never be consensus about that. I thought the same way too, except have been lately wondering

That (gCEA) is re entrant. I think 'we' use a lower case g because it is a different tuning to 'normal', as in guitar, etc, that use capitals for linear tunings.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 02-27-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Thread Information